mental photographs

Percy jogs down the street. He's relieved he finally has someone to talk to that isn't a demigod. Even if it was in a... very roundabout way because he couldn't mention the gods or the fact that he actually "joined" the "military" at twelve. He told Steve that he was a marine, because how else could he explain how well he could swim or all the fighting that happened in the water?

Or, to Steve, on the boats.

But... he knows as soon as Steve looks into it –– from the time he's spent with Steve, he knows Steve is naturally very curious. And though he promised he wouldn't look into a way to absolve Percy's "dishonorable discharge" he didn't promise not to look into Percy –– and he knows as soon as Steve even looks up his name, he'll find out that Percy wasnt a marine, or even in the army. (Or his standard of the army, anyway).

He pauses his walk to his mom's house and ducks into a back ally. Using a nearby puddle, he makes a rainbow. He takes a drachma and flips it through the rainbow. "Oh Fleecy, do me a solid. Show me Hermes, wherever he is."

The dramcha disappears and the shimmering image of Hermes appears.

Hermes grins. "Percy! One of my favorite demigods!" He looks slightly concerned, "How's it going?"

Percy decides to skip right over that question, thank you very much. "I met a mortal, Steve Rogers. He recognized the way I held myself and figured out I'd been in battle. I needed someone to talk to, so I told him the human version of my story. I told him that I ran away from Gabe at fifteen and then, because of my height and build, I was able to pass as eighteen and joined the marines. I told him the human version of everything that happened."

At Hermes surprised look, Percy nods, a hard glint in his eye, as if daring Hermes to comment. "Everything. I told him after the last battle, the marines found out I was only seventeen, and had been lying about my age for about two and a half years. I told him I got a dishonorable discharge. Since you always seemed really good in areas with paper work and the like, I figured you might be able to help out...?"

Hermes keeps silent for a moment, mulling everything over. "Me and Ares will be able to figure something out. Ares has a high position somewhere in the military, I'm not sure where. While we're at it, we'll change up some of your files so everything matches up."

"Thank you."

"It's the least we could do."

Percy goes to wave his hand through the iris message to hang up, but Hermes speaks up.

"Percy, if you need anything else, we're always here."

Percy doesn't really know how to respond, so he just nods and waves his hand through the message, effectively hanging up.

He walks out of the alley, relieved that Steve wouldn't think he was lying about everything now.

After a bit more walking, he pauses at a tall, colorful apartment building.

He mentally prepares himself as he walks up the steps to the third floor. He stops at the eighth door and knocks loudly.

Shuffling can be heard and a woman with long curly black hair opens the door. She stares at Percy. Just stares. Percy returns her stare, imprinting her in his mind.

Have to have a mental photograph if she... no, don't think like that Percy

But what if we're right?
What if she dies too

Percy doesn't react when his mom hugs him, still lost in thought.

Everyone around Percy Jackson dies