chapter 66. the inquisitor.

I shuffle out of bed and take in the scent of pancakes as I walk out. I squint at the bright morning light peeking through the small windows and rub my eyes lazily.
"Well it's about time you're up, sleepyhead," Obi-Wan says with a wider smile than usual, placing a plate of pancakes on the table as I sit down, and he goes to make his own plate. "Happy birthday, dear."
My face scrunches in confusion as I take a bite from a pancake. "Huh?"
"Oh, don't tell me you forgot, Arlo! It's your birthday!"
"...Really?"
"Yes, it is, little one. Or, not so little anymore, since you're 18," he says as he sits his plate across from me, then walks back over to the stove to take the tea kettle off the stove and pour us two cups.
"You say that every year, then you keep on calling me that anyway."
He chuckles softly as he sits my tea in front of me, along with a small bowl of sugar, and takes a sip of his before sitting down across from me. We eat our breakfast as we continue to talk. "I got you a small present for later, but it's not much, and I felt bad, since it's your eighteenth birthday, so I made breakfast," he tells me
"It's okay, Obi-Wan. Thank you. I mean, I didn't even remember it was my birthday at all."
"That's because you don't care about yourself as much as you should."
"Oh, don't act like you're so nice to yourself, either."
"Nicer than you are. Did you sleep well?"
"Kriff no. Since when have I ever slept well?"
"Well... never, I suppose. Why didn't you come out here with me, then?"
I shrug. "I mean, I am 18 now."
"Right, and how many 18-year-olds have been through the same things you have?"
"A few. But they're all... you know. Dead," I sigh.
"Ah, ah, no negativity on your birthday, Arlo. Today's gonna be a good day. Okay?"
"If you say so, Obi."

"Arlo, you're gonna get sick from all that cake batter!" Obi-Wan lightly scolds as I scoop more of the vanilla batter from the mixing bowl onto the spoon that I had previously licked clean. "Besides, I'm almost done icing the cake now, and we're about to eat it."
"Fine. Even though cake is better in batter form anyway." I put the spoon back down in the bowl and hover over his shoulder as I watch him finish writing "Happy Birthday Arlo" in bright yellow icing on top of the circular cake covered in white.
"Yellow's still your favorite color, right? Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, after being around all this pesky yellowish sand for so long now."
I smile. Of course he still remembers that. "Yeah, it is. Just not the same shade as that awful sand."
Obi-Wan carefully lifts the plate with the cake on it and carries it over to the table, and I follow close behind. He sits it in front of my seat at the table, and pulls the chair out for me before walking back to the counter, grabbing a knife, plates, forks, a candle, and matches before returning. He sticks the small candle in the cake, lights it with a match, then sits down across from me in his seat.
"Be sure to make a wish," Obi-Wan tells me just before I blow out my candle.
I wish... that I'll always be able to protect the people I love.
I blow on the candle, and the small flame dies.
Obi-Wan smiles as he takes the knife and begins slicing a piece out of the cake. "I hope you wished for something good."
"I can't tell you, because then it won't come true," I say as he places a slice of cake on a plate, sliding it over to my side of the table, along with a fork. I thank him as he begins cutting his own slice.
"So, do you feel 18 yet?" he asks.
I shake my head no. "No, I feel older. I've always felt like I've had to mentally grow up faster than everyone else my age."
"Well, you've always been mature for your age, that's for certain."
"Thank you, it's the trauma," I halfheartedly joke.
"Arlo."
"Just trying to lighten the mood, Obi-Wan."
He frowns. "You're not even in a good mood on your birthday?"
"When was the last time I was in a genuine good mood?"
"I don't know, and it's worrying me, Arlo. I'm very worried about you."
"Don't be."
"You make that rather hard, you know."
"How? It's not like I can go about causing trouble anymore, as much as I'd like to sometimes—"
"That's not why I'm worried about you, Arlo. I know this has been hard on you, to say the very least. And I know you're not as happy as you used to be. I don't even know if you're happy at all. I want to help you, Arlo, I really do, but your feelings are even more locked away than they used to be. I don't know how to help. I know you joke around about this stuff a lot, but the only time you tell me how you really feel is in the middle of a night after a nightmare, and the stuff you tell me then does not make it easy to worry less. I know, neither of us will ever truly be fine again, but I just want you to be okay. I want to do everything I can to help you be okay."
I feel a pang of guilt as I put my fork down. "I... I never wanted to be a burden."
"I never said that, Arlo—"
"I'm gonna go to the cantina," I tell him as I stand up from my chair, putting my fork down onto my now empty plate.
"Arlo, please come back—"
"See you." I begin to walk towards the door.
"Arlo—"
"What?" I snap, turning back to face him. I feel my eyes start to burn with hot tears, but I hold them back with ease. I'm starting to get too good at that.
"I'm... I'm sorry," he says.
I feel another wave of guilt. He's not the one who should be apologizing, I'm the one who got upset. "Don't be. It's my fault, anyway."
"No it's—"
"Do you need anything while I'm out?"
"...No, thank you, dear. Come back in one piece."
"That's the plan." And with that, I leave Obi-Wan alone in our hut, and make my way to the cantina.

I down the last of my blue milk as I feel a familiar presence sit down beside me.
"Hey, Boba. Didn't bring you pet lizard with you today?"
Boba rolls his eyes. "Funny. But no, Bossk is busy today."
"Good. Don't feel like dealing with his shit at the moment. So, any new news?"
"Nothing important. Only thing I've heard around here is that the Empire is paying a visit to this hellhole planet today."
"Really?" I ask. He nods. "...Why?"
"No idea," he tells me.
"You haven't heard?" a Rodian voice behind us asks. The two of us turn around to face him.
"What is it, Greedo?" I question.
"Apparently they're sending one of their Inquisitors. Rumor has it that they've discovered that a Jedi lives somewhere out here," he answers.
I feel my heart drop down to my stomach, but I'm sure to keep a straight face. "Oh... really?"
"Huh. You think there's a reward if we find them?" Boba asks.
"I sure hope so. My eyes are peeled, that's for damn sure," Greedo states. I begin to listen to other conversations around the bar.
"Ain't they all traitors now?"
"Sure are. Never liked them Jedi, anyway."
"Empire's huntin' down the Jedi, eh?"
"I hope they find 'em. Don't need any of those mind trickin', laser sworded maniac up in here."
"How 'bout you, Lora?" Boba suddenly asks. "Think they're gonna catch 'em?"
"Yeah... yeah, definitely. So is there just one?"
"That's all I've heard of," he tells me. "Why?"
"You know what, I might go out and look right now! I'll, uh, see you all later! Bye!" I hop out of my barstool and sprint out of the cantina, shoving past angry customers and shoppers around Mos Eisley. I feel my hands start to shake and my heartbeat grows frantic. I look up at the sky in an attempt to ground myself, just like Obi-Wan taught me, but I'm met with exactly what I didn't want to see. An Imperial star destroyer entering the atmosphere. "Kriff," I mutter to myself as I somehow manage to run faster towards the hut.

"Obi-Wan!" I rush through the door and see Obi-Wan look up from a book, sitting it down in front of him on the table. His face scrunches in concern at my panicked tone.
"Is everything all right, dear?"
"The Empire," I breathe out. "They know."
He frowns slightly as I sit down next to him at the table. "But we can't leave, we must watch over Luke."
"I know. But the whole cantina was talking about how they were looking for a Jedi... wait."
"What is it, Arlo?"
"They know a Jedi is here. Not two."
His face now completely falls. "Arlo, you aren't considering—?"
"...I'm sorry. But I have to. If they only think one of us is here, it would be stupid to reveal both of us and then have to leave Luke. And you know that you're the one that needs to stay with him."
"Arlo, please, don't go. We need to stay hiding, I'm almost positive they won't find us," he pleads.
I stand up. He does the same. "They're already looking. There's not a lot of time." I place a hand on his shoulder. "I don't want to leave you, you know I don't... but I need to do this."
"It's incredibly dangerous—"
"Has that ever stopped me before? Besides... it's the least I can do after everything you've done for me. You've always been there to protect me. Let me protect you, just this once."
"No, no, Arlo, no. Absolutely not. You cannot go."
"Obi-Wan."
He takes a shaky breath. "...Yeah. I know you'll do it even if I say no."
"You're right. I will. Because I owe you everything, Obi-Wan. I really, truly don't want to leave you, and I don't know what I'm gonna do without you, but it's the least I can do." A tear threatens to spill, and Obi-Wan wraps me in a tight hug. I let it silently fall onto his tunic as I cling onto him.
"I hate to admit it, but... I know. You're right. But I don't want to have to let you go, too. You're... all I have left. We've always been with each other since the beginning of the war, and now you have to leave so suddenly, it's... stars, this is harder than I thought it would be." His voice is... shaky. "Arlo, no matter how old you get, you're still my reckless, sparky little padawan. I'm not sure what I'd do without you in my life. You've never been a burden or a nuisance to me, ever. You're my pride and joy. I've lost so, so many people in my life, but you've always been there for me. I love you like a daughter, Arlo. I don't want to lose you, too. Promise me you'll stay safe."
I hold onto him a little tighter at his words. "All right. I'll do my best. For your peace of mind, old man."
He chuckles softly as he lets go of me. "Thank you, dear. Now get your stuff together quickly, and I'll get some other things ready for you." I nod and jog off towards my room, kneeling to the ground to grab a backpack from underneath my bed. The very same backpack I used to carry my stuff from when I escaped from the Jedi Temple. I examine the fabric on the top right of the bag, charred from the blaster shot that hit me in the shoulder. I look on the other side and see the crimson stain of blood from the wound, then stand as I unzip it and toss it onto my bed.
I grab Waxer's helmet and Boil's shoulder pauldron off of the top of my dresser and put them in the backpack first, then grab a few pairs of neatly folded pants and shirts and cram them in the bag next. Then I open the top drawer of the dresser and grab the rest of my belongings. The picture, the letter, and both sabers. I hook my lightsaber onto my belt and smile at the lost familiarity. Right where it used to go. I put the two pieces of paper in the backpack as well, but keep Qui-Gon's saber out as I grab it and my now filled and zipped backpack off of my bed, slinging the bag over my shoulder. I take one last look back at my bedroom before returning to the main room of the hut.
I start to walk to where Obi-Wan stands at the kitchen counter, but I pause when I notice he's bent over, elbows resting on the counter, head buried deep in his hands. I can sense his distress through the Force. I feel a pang of my own guilt in my chest.
He's right. He has lost everyone. I'm all he's got left.
And now I'm leaving him.
"Don't feel bad, Arlo," he tells me as he looks back up and forces a smile. I guess he could feel my emotions, too. "Here, bring your backpack. I've got some things for you." I sit my backpack and Qui-Gon's saber down as he stands straight up again and hands me a book that sits on the edge of the counter. I take the blue hardback book.
My eyes widen. "Is this...?"
"Your favorite Jedi storybook? Yes. I went out to buy it a few days ago while you were in Mos Eisley. You would think one of these would be harder to find, now that everyone thinks we're traitors, but they still had a few copies in the book shop. Thought you might like it."
"I love it, Obi. Thank you," I say with the biggest smile I've worn all day. A genuine one, too.
Obi-Wan smiles back at me. "You're welcome, dear. Happy birthday." He then walks across the kitchen to grab something else while I unzip my back and slip the book inside. Obi-Wan returns to me with a box, and he opens it to reveal ration packs, a canteen full of water, tea bags with sugar packets and a small cup, and a generous slice of birthday cake. "I don't know how long you'll have to go without being able to get food safely, so this should be plenty of rations to hold you over for a while. They're not old and stale leftovers from the war, I promise, I bought them a few weeks ago in case of an emergency." He closes the box and hands it to me, and I cram it in next to the book. He then pulls out something from his pocket, and I hear the clang of Imperial credits on the counter. "We don't have a lot of credits, but this is the majority of it. And before you say anything, don't worry, I'll be just fine. This should be more than enough to get you a ride off the planet. Now, one last thing. Hold on." Obi-Wan grabs his spare robe from his chair at the table and places it around my shoulders. I slip my hands through the loose sleeves. "In case you get a little cold at night. Because I know you do."
"Thank you, Obi-Wan. For all of this. Everything."
"Anything for you."
I zip up my bag and put it on my back, then take Qui-Gon's saber and offer it to Obi-Wan. "You sure you don't want this?"
"Keep it. You never know when you may need it."
I nod and slip the saber into my boot, then stand back up and take a deep, shaky breath. "I guess... I guess this is it, then."
"This isn't 'it', Arlo. We'll see each other again, I know we will."
"I agree, but... this is just, I don't know how to put it... I guess it's the end of a chapter. I know, technically, I'm a Jedi Knight, but I've still felt like just a padawan this whole time. To me, this feels like graduating. Because now I'm off to do my own thing."
"I know you'll do well. I am very proud of you, Arlo, and I hope you know that. Remember what I've taught you, and trust in the Force. Keep practicing the thing Master Yoda told us to learn, just like we have been. Make good decisions. And, for Luke's sake, don't tell anyone where you've been hiding or where I am now."
"I won't, Obi-Wan. Cross my heart. I'll come back as soon as this is all over, I swear."
"At the rate the Empire is going at, you realize that may be a while, Arlo."
"I know, I know. But just know that I'm not really leaving you. I'm not gone. You still have me, even if I'm in the other corner of the galaxy."
"I know I've got you. And I know you're not abandoning me. That's why you feel guilty, isn't it? You feel like you're just leaving me for the scrapper. But you're not. I promise."
"If you say so."
"I'll miss you deeply, Arlo. You're a strong and persistent young Jedi, and I'm so proud to have been able to call you my padawan."
"Well, I learned from my amazing Master, didn't I?"
"There are some things that I can't teach you, Arlo, and strength and persistence are included in that. You learned that on your own." He places a hand on my shoulder. "You should probably be off. Stay safe, and try to keep away from too much trouble for me, okay? I love you very much, little one."
I wrap my arms tight around his torso as I feel the beginnings of tears sting my eyes and let my head rest on his shoulder. He pats my back as he reciprocates the hug. "Please don't cry, dear. I'll see you again, even if it's the last thing I ever do."
"I'm scared, Obi," I say shakily into his tunic. "I don't think I'm ready to let go."
"Truthfully... I'm not sure if I'm quite ready, either. But we're gonna be okay. We always are." I nod as I pull away from him, and he carefully wipes the tears off my cheeks with the sleeve of his tunic. "Okay?"
"As okay as I can be, I suppose."
He pats my cheek gently before stepping away. "Now, go make our galaxy a better place, Sparky."
I give him one more halfhearted smile. "I will." I turn and exit our small hut for the last time. I look back inside one last time at Obi-Wan, who waves me along. He smiles, but the sadness in his eyes gives away how fake it is.
I shut the door. I take deep breath. And I make a run right towards the mob of Imperial shuttles that have landed around Mos Eisley.

I put up the hood of the robe Obi-Wan gave me as I quietly slip into the cantina. I don't go to my usual spot, rather, I look around where the pilots usually sit, waiting to offer people rides. But, to my horrible luck, there were few options. I debate whether I should just try to smuggle a ship or not, until I hear a loud, familiar voice.
"Well, if you're not offering spice as payment, I say no deal! Apologies, my friend, but you can move along now. Our business here is done!"
My eyes widen, jaw dropping slightly. "No kriffing way," I mutter to myself as I walk towards the table where he sits. I take a seat across from him.
"...And you might be?"
I slightly lower my hood enough for him to see my face. "Long time, no see, Hondo."
Hondo gasps in excitement as he begins to speak just a little too loud. "Oh, Arlo, m'dear, it is so—"
My hand flies over his mouth to shush him. "Not so loud!" I whisper quickly, removing my hand and putting it back at my own side.
"Oh, right. You Jedi are all wanted now. Anyways, it is so good to see you, m'dear. So, what can I do for you?"
"Getting me a ride off of this sandball is what you can do."
"For how much?"
"Hondo, do I look like I have any spice on me?"
"Well... no. But I always expect the unexpected! I do hate to do this, m'dear, but if you don't have spice, I don't get a profit from this, and business is quite tough these days, so I can't—"
"Now hold on, Hondo. I have a solution."
"Ah, of course. Go on."
"Just... take me somewhere to get the spice. I'll get you enough for the ride there. After that, I can fend for myself wherever you take me. Then you never have to see me again. Mostly because I have to, you know, stay hidden from the Empire."
"You're lucky I like you, Arlo, because you've got yourself a deal!"
I grin. "Perfect. I'll meet you in the shipyard in a few. If you don't mind, take my backpack with you, but I suppose I should go ahead and warn you that there's nothing valuable in there for you to steal. I... have to go handle something really quick."
"Get to it, then, m'dear, we don't have all day, now, do we?"
"Right. Thanks, Hondo," I say as I stand up to leave, tossing him my backpack. He gives me a nod and a wink before I jog away, back into the Imperial fray. I hear commotion coming from ahead.
"Reports say that they spotted a mysterious person dressed in a robe in the cantina right by here," one of the stormtroopers says. "Shall we go take a look?"
"Negative, Commander. I will find this Jedi myself. You all wouldn't stand a chance against one," a Pau'an dressed in all black next to him replies. I notice a dual-bladed lightsaber attached to his hip. This must be the Inquisitor.
I clear my throat to get his attention. "Well, you don't have to look very far, do you?" I question as I flip my hood off.
The Inquisitor turns to me slowly as the stormtrooper raise their weapons and point them at me. "Why, hello there, young one. I certainly did not expect you, of all Jedi, to be the one I find here. What's the name, Just, isn't it?"
"You... know who I am?"
"Of course. You've got quite the reputation for a mere padawan. Separatist troops dreaded you, you survived fights with Sith Lords, not to mention you played a crucial role in ending the Clone Wars on Batuu."
"So you're a fan? I'm sorry to say I don't have anything to write with, so I can't give you an autograph..." I quip.
"I'm the furthest from it, child. However, I have an offer for you, and I feel as if you'll find it appealing. You are strong with the Force, there's no denying, but you're different than the other Jedi I've come across... I sense so much emotion in you. And with that emotion comes power. Join my Inquisitors, help us hunt down the leftovers of the corrupted Jedi Order..." he starts, igniting his dual-bladed crimson saber, "...or else you become our prey."
I shrug off Obi-Wan's brown robe and take my saber from my belt, sparking up the golden blade and pointing it toward him. "Well, what would a hunter be without it's prey?"
"Hmph. Have it your way then," he practically growls as his sabers start revolving on the circular hilt. He lunges at me, blades turning toward my head. I quickly duck and backflip away to space him further from me. He stops in his tracks as his sabers stop revolving. His lips curl at me with a glare as I put my saber into a ready position.
"Hm. Typical Sith wannabe," I taunt. "I could've seen that move coming from a klick away."
"Yeah? Well, you'll soon find I'm full of surprises," he sneers as his revolving lightsaber spins intimidatingly once again while he charges at me. But I stand my ground. I use the Force to pull Qui-Gon's saber out of my boot, catching it with my left hand and igniting it, forming an X with it and my gold saber, blocking one of the Grand Inquisitor's blades just in time.
"And I'm not?" I snark back as I use all my strength to push him away from me. I twirl both sabers as I begin my attack. I swing my gold saber towards him. It locks with his blade on my right. I try again with the left, but once again the blades interlock. I use the Force along with the momentum from pushing down on his blades to jump and flip over him. I slash up at his back as I land, but he turns just quickly enough to deflect my blow. We parry. Back and forth, back and forth.
"It's truly a shame you wouldn't join me," the Inquisitor tells me as he swings down on me with one side of his saber, and my own two block the blow as his connects with mine. "For only a mere student, you're quite the competition."
"They always said I was at the top of my class," I reply through gritted teeth.
"Cocky, are we—ugh!" he grunts as I catch him off guard, kicking him in the gut and Force pushing him back into a nearby wall. He slumps down it, hardly conscious, as his stormtroopers start firing at me. I put Qui-Gon's saber on my belt and use my own to deflect their shots, then turn to run away, grabbing my robe off the ground along the way and slinging it over my shoulder. I continue to block shots as they follow. As I draw closer to the shipyard, I notice the troopers begin to lag behind. I quickly turn a corner and hide behind a nearby crate. I peek my head out slightly and watch as they run past, then let out a sigh of relief.
Happy birthday to me.

i tried to wait until the morning to publish this chapter, but i can't sleep and i couldn't restrain myself. so here it is in all its glory. anyway, at this point... y'all know it's not a part of sparky if there ain't hondo ohnaka in it. bet you could've seen that coming from a klick away :) wait till you see who's in the next chapter though...
thanks for reading! -a 🪐
(p.s. your all's comments on the last chapter LITERALLY as soon as i published it made me SO HAPPY!! i'm so glad you all live arlo just as much as i do, y'all are too good to me 😭 much love to you all <3)