015

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘

chapter fifteen:'cause you said forever, nowI drive alone past your street !

chapter fifteen:
'cause you said forever, now
I drive alone past your street !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

MAYBE ATHENA HAD made a mistake. Maybe she had done it all wrong, but in that moment, handing Ricky her necklace and letting him go seemed like the best option. The three charms that brought them together were weighing her down instead of lifting her up like they usually did the second she saw Ricky with Lily.

She remembered that moment — the way her head spun, the way her heart dropped, the way her limbs completely froze. Your girlfriend seems like she wants some space from you, Lily's voice rang through her mind. Anyway, let me know if you're looking for one who doesn't. It was no secret that Athena and Ricky still needed to work on some communication. But was it that obvious that even Lily had tried to take Ricky away?

Yet Ricky hadn't responded to Lily. He hadn't denied the claim, but he hadn't defended it either. It was just like that night at the El Rey all those months ago. Ricky hadn't even tried to justify his actions about almost kissing Nini. All he did was just blurt out that he loved her and Athena immediately forgave him. Maybe she shouldn't have. Like she said to Ricky earlier, she didn't have time to fully heal.

Not to mention the fight that they had in the school hallways. Ricky had told her that he didn't need her help and pushed her away again. And when he showed up on her front porch step to apologize, Athena forgave him, like she always did. Maybe she shouldn't have done that either. Pushing all of his problems onto her wasn't fair and wasn't healthy.

And that's what made Athena question everything. Seeing Ricky with Lily just hurt her again, and this time, she realized she needed to mend herself back together. That's what made her offer up her necklace to him. In giving it to him, it signaled that she had to go her own way for a little while. Just like Gabriella.

Because they might find their place in this world someday, but at least for now, Athena had to go her own way.

It hurt, though. Athena was the one who broke it off, but it was her first official breakup with the boy she loved the most. She had believed that nothing could tear them apart if their love went all the way through the solar system from the moon to Saturn, but it turns out, it was actually them who tore their own selves apart. And at the root of all of it who made that a reality was one person — Lily.

Athena knew she shouldn't let that blonde girl into her head. All Lily wanted was a reaction out of her. Lily painted herself out to be this girl who was over confident about North High and thought she was winning by trying to tear people apart. Athena saw right through her. In reality, Lily was insecure. If she had looked to see that it was okay other people had talent too, maybe then she wouldn't be so mean.