Leadership

Soon after I had begun taking Steve's blood Peggy had joined us again.
"Think you got enough?" Steve asked me as I placed the last needle down and went to remove the tie on his arm.
"Any hope of reproducing a program is locked in your genetic code. But without Dr. Erskine, it could take years." I admitted.
"I'm sure with you now here working along side Howard you'll get things up to speed." Peggy said making me smile at her.

"He deserved more than this." Steve sighed talking about Erskine.
"If it could only work once, he'd be proud it was you." Peggy told him and I nodded agreeing with her.

After I finished with Steve I took him back to the SRR tech room followed by Peggy. There we saw Senator Brandt and Colonel Phillips.

"My committee is demanding answers." Brandt demanded.
"Great. Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car? What have we got here?" Chester asked as I noticed Stark working on the submarine Steve had found. I walked over to it and inspected it.
"Speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country. But I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works. We're not even close to this technology" Howard admitted.
"I've seen tech like that before." I spoke up making all eyes snap to me.
"Miss Smith?" Chester questioned me.
"HYDRA. The Nazi organisation responsible for the most elite soldiers of their country. Their tech is futuristic. I've only seen it once. It's made of a mixture of an iron and gold metal mixture. It's strong. But not indestructible." I spoke saying the last bit to Steve. Everyone stared at me in awe.

"HYDRA is the Nazi deep science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions." Peggy explained further for Howard and Steve in the room.
"HYDRA's practically a cult. They worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible." Chester exclaimed.
"So what are you gonna do about it?" Brandt demanded again.
"Spoke to the president this morning. As of today the SSR is being re-tasked." Chester spoke.
"Colonel?" Peggy asked as I listened in confusion.
"We are taking the fight to HYDRA. Pack your bags Agent Carter. You too, Stark. Even you Smith. We need someone like you leading our team. You're flying to London tonight." Chester told us all.

I stood shocked not knowing what to think or do. The last place I ever thought I'd end up is going into war. Not only that but leading a team, an organisation! I never asked for this. I glanced at Steve and saw his saddened expression. This was what he wanted. He was born for this even before the serum. I was no leader. Yes I wanted adventure and maybe this was my calling but I didn't want to do it without Steve.

"Sir, if you're going after Schmidt, I want in." Steve announced.
"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo." Chester spoke gruffly making my eyebrows furrow again.
"The serum worked." Steve argued.
"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough. Even with Blondie over there by your side." I didn't know how to take what he just said but I let it slide, Peggy however looked like she wanted to snap.

Chester soon walked off and Howard went back to work leaving Peggy to turn to me.
"Looks like we'll be seeing more of each other a lot more often." She smiled.
"Yeah." I replied.
"I'm glad to have you partner." She spoke before walking away. I waited patiently seeing Steve in a conversation but I couldn't help listening in.

"With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?" Brandt asked Steve.
"Sir, that's all I want." Steve told him sincerely.
"Then, congratulations. You just got promoted." He clapped Steve on the back before he too walked off.

"Your leaving me again." I smile making Steve turn to face me and sigh.
"If I remember correctly you got invited on a getaway first." He replied.
"True."

He saw my smile fall and stepped closer to me.
"Come on." He held his hand out.
"Where are we going?" I meet his eye confused.
"Home. You have to pack after all." I smiled and followed him out.

Later that afternoon Steve is sitting on my bed while I pack my suitcase.
"I've never been to England before." I state.
"You've never been out the country before." Steve said making me chuckle.
"I know." I sigh.

Steve sees my emotion change and he takes hold of my hand. I take it and stand in front of him. He leans his head on my stomach while my other hand not in his, goes to play with his hair. I lean down and place a kiss to his head.
"I'm going to miss you." I whisper.
"You have no idea how much I'll miss you." He replies still tucked into my abdomen.

I smile and reach my hands under his chin and lift his head up to look at me. I cup his jaw as I stare into his blue eyes that I never stopped loving.
"I'm going to have to miss you all over again."
"I know. But I'll be waiting for you when you return. Who knows maybe you'll see Bucky?" Steve says.

My thoughts wondered. I would love to see Bucky again. I never stopped thinking about him either. I smiled back down at Steve.
"Maybe." I whisper.
I move my hand up to rest on his cheeks and he leans into it.

In a split second decision. I lean my head down. I hesitate millimetres from his lips. Steve watches me carefully. I finally pluck up the courage and connect our lips. It only lasts a few seconds before I pull away and stand back up. He never stops looking at me. I smile slightly.
"What was that for?" He asks.
"Good luck." I whisper.

We both knew the kiss meant more than that. But neither of us had to admit it in that moment. We just enjoyed each other's company until it was time for me to leave that night.