twelve: the favourite

"Has he said anything?" Thomas asked in a whisper, probably trying not to startle Alby as we entered the hut.

"No." She answered, shortly.

"Alby." The boy started, getting no response. "Alby are you all right?" He crept closer to the boy, taking small and cautious steps in order not to scare the boy. 

"Hey, Alby. We might have just found a way out of the maze." The boy still didn't look up as Thomas lifted his head at us for reassurance. He nodded to himself to continue.

"Do you hear me? We could be getting out of here." He spoke even softer than before, trying to ease the boy into the news.

"We can't." He snapped quickly. "We can't leave. They won't let us." He finally lifted his eyes off the ground to look at Thomas. The boy looked awful, sunken in face with dark circles filling the layer of skin under his eyes.

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked, just as confused as the rest of us.

"You were always their favourite Thomas." Alby whipped his head round to find my eyes as he continued. "And you. You were always his favourite. Always." Everyone looked at Thomas, and then at me, confused. The air was so tense I could cut it with a knife. "Why did you do it? Every time, you did what he asked, now look where it got you. Wasn't worth it, was it?"

I felt my heart beat start to pick up but I couldn't say anything. I was frozen. Everyone stared at me as I refused to remove my eyes from Alby. I didn't need to look up to know Newt was looking at me, hurt and worry in his eyes.

His body diverted back to Thomas again. "Why did you do this? Why did you come here?" Just as Thomas was about to say something, Winston darted into the room.

"Winston, what's going on?" Newt asked, trying to mask the emotion in his voice.

"It's the doors. They aren't closing."

Almost as if we were all one person, seven of us sprinted out of the room. It was dark, the grass lit up here and there by torches. Everyone was panicked, grabbing everything in sight and running around like headless chickens.

Thomas realised what was happening instantly and in an instant, his confidence grew out of no where. 

"Chuck, go to the Council Hall and start barricading the doors." Thomas began throwing out orders as no one had time to argue. "Winston you go with him." 

"Got it." He replied as he ran after Chuck.

He turned to the remaining five, pointing in the direction of Gally. "Get the others. Tell them to go to the forest. Go hide, now!" The boy didn't even hesitate, not a single word before he ran to where he was told to.

"Minho, I want you to grab every weapon you can find. I'll meet you at Council Hall. Let's go!"

"Teresa, you and I are gonna go get Alby, all right?" Before Teresa could even nod in agreement, we heard a terrifying shriek.

They were here. Barreling into the Glade at full force. Their bodies were vile, long spider like legs made from metal and a head that you couldn't tell what was the front and what was the back.

"All right, everybody hide!" For a split second I didn't move, paralysed by what I was seeing as someone's hand grabbing my wrist pulled me back into reality. "Come on, we've got to go." Newt yelled over all the noise as he pulled me away, my legs finally working from underneath me.

We ran into the corn field, shielding ourselves with the plants. "Stay down!" Thomas yelled as everything went quiet for a second. Too eerily quiet. My heart was beating so loud I could hear it in my throat.