~ 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓃𝑒𝓌𝓈 ~

I went back to school on Thursday with the blue folder full of my now-completed missed work. I arrived late because Mom insisted I sleep in, so now I am checking in with the front office in the middle of the second period- biology. Bio is my favorite class. I am apart of the Honors class and this week we were supposed to be covering the DNA and RNA section of genetics. 

I got my late slip and turned in the excuse from the hospital. The front office lady, a nice middle-aged woman whose name I could never remember despite seeing her for a few years (I think it started with an S?). She let me go and I deposited my bookbag in my locker and grabbed my copy of Biology: Cells and Beyond before going to the classroom. 

I opened the door and Ms. Lotts stopped teaching and acknowledged my entrance, "Ms. Johnson, glad to see you are feeling better. Please take a seat. We are in chapter 13 section b."

I slid my notebooks, textbook, pencil case, and agenda onto the desk and took out my pencil, pen, and highlighter. Then I flipped to the next empty page in my notes and started writing the notes projected onto the board. 

Ms. Lotts continues her lesson until the bell rings and she passes out homework due the next class as we walk out the door. I turn in my homework from the week as I go.

The rest of the day is a blur: I finish school and meet my friends and brother so we can walk off the school grounds, we all walk to the park where we wait for twenty minutes as students are released from Mom's school, then we drive to my house where we do homework and watch an episode of NCIS together. Dad comes home and I helped make alfredo for dinner. Zach and Kiera went home and my family went to bed. 

I drifted into another dream.

I was at the base of a wooden bridge ladder that extended over a ravine. The ravine was filled with mist so tendrils of smoke wrapped around my ankles. A roar sounded from behind me, alerting me to the presence of a large beast. My only options were forward across the rickety bridge or back to face the monster. 

I had to choose quickly. I leaped onto the creaking wood and clenched the rope railing in my fist. I took one sensitive step, then another and soon I was halfway across the bridge. 

I was expecting the fall, I knew it was creeping closer, so when my feet fell through the bridge as the wood cracked underneath me, I only yelped instead of screamed. 

I fell through the mist.

Suddenly, a green hue escaped from the white blanket of fog. The ground. 

I closed my eyes and waited for the impact that never came.

**************

The next Saturday came and went with no word from the hospital. Life had pretty much turned back to normal except for my Mom's hovering. I went back to softball practice on Monday and the team prepared for our next game on Sunday. I did drills from my position, third base. I worked on my throwing arm and catching balls from other bases without stepping off the plate. Then we hit into the batting nets.

By the time Dad came to pick me up at 6 p.m., I was more tired then usual and covered in sweat. As we drove home, Dad and I sang to every song that came up on the radio, completely butchering the words. 

I was a decent singer, but Kiera was the real star. She performed in every school play since the second grade. Plus, she was always cast with a leading role. Auditions are coming up in a few months for the yearly play, this year's show is The Sound of Music. I promised Kiera I would help her practice because she wanted to play Maria.

We pulled up in the driveway and I got my sports bag from the backseat. Then, I immediately went to my bathroom and took a shower. Once I was clean, I threw on the T-shirt and sweat shorts I wear for bed. I also put on a fuzzy sweatshirt because I was cold. 

I joined Alex and Mom in the kitchen, "Oh, good. You are done. Can you call Dad? Dinner will be ready in five minutes." Alex was tossing the salad while routinely adding chopped carrots, onions, and cucumbers to the mix.

***************

I woke up Tuesday morning to Mittens purring next to my face. He had coiled himself in the crook of my elbow that I had stationed so my hand cradled my head. Dreams had avoided me for the night and for that I am grateful. I didn't miss the mist that hovered upon the rickety bridge. 

I met Alex at the door and we followed Mom to the car before she dropped us off in front of the school. We met Zach and Kiera, who was waiting by the door, ten minutes before homeroom. I had chemistry first, then geometry with Kiera. 

We went our separate ways, Kiera heading to history, Alex and Zach to engineering elective, and me to chemistry. For fifty minutes, we reviewed the different types of bonds from last year and focused on covalent. The bell rang and everybody filed out except for me who turned in the excused work. 

I made it to math just in time to avoid a trip to the office. Kiera was already seated at her desk, which was conveniently located next to mine, and she waved as I entered. I set the pile of morning classes' notebooks on the corner of my desk and copied tonight's homework into my agenda. 

Just as Mr. Hisier started the lesson, the nice front desk attendant opened the door to the room.

"Can I see Samantha Johnson, please? You have an appointment" 

Mr. Hisier nodded for me to go and I got my things. 

"Are you getting the results?" Kiera whispered.

I just shrugged silently and followed the lady out. I stopped at my locker to drop off my stuff and grab my phone from the locker. I assumed I would be coming back seeing as it was only second period so I opted for leaving my books behind so I wouldn't have to haul them around.

Dad was waiting in the front office which surprised me because he should be at work and greeted me with a smile. He signed me out and thanked the lady (was it Ms. Shrader?). 

"Ready to go kiddo? Mom is waiting in the car." This surprised me too. Mom and Dad both must have taken the day off.

I slid into the backseat, "So, what is this all about?"

Mom turned in the passenger seat to look at me, "The hospital called, the test results are in."

"Oh." 

The thought frightened me a bit, but I am adamant that nothing is wrong.

***********************

The receptionist of the hospital led us into an examination room and politely asked that we wait for the doctor. 

Twenty minutes later, Dr. McLeish entered, followed by the same lanky girl, Jordan, and a different intern. 

"Hey, Sam. Are you feeling alright? No more headaches?" She asked.

"The medication helped. They didn't go away, but they are not as frequent." I dutifully replied.

"That's good." She sighed, "This is always the hard part of the job. Sam, your blood tests came back. They showed you had an abnormally amount of white blood cells. You have leukemia. Leukaemia is cancer of white blood cells. Your condition is treatable with chemotherapy. You have a long road ahead of you, but you are strong, Sam. You will have to stay in a children's hospital for a while. I'll recommend you to a Pederatiric Oncologist immediately. I'm so sorry."