8 - *Conviction*

Chapter 8 – Conviction

In the foyer for Midtown Elementary School, students and staff alike crouched to the ground in terror. Herded like lambs to the slaughter by the Chitauri. The fear struck civilians were accosted by the angry clicks and screeches of their soon to be executioners. With wavering eyes, they stared down the barrel of an alien weapon, counting down the minutes till their untimely demise.

A ten-year-old boy with curly brown hair clutched the straps of his book bag with sweaty palms. His breath uneven as he tried to keep himself as small and quiet as possible.

His body was hidden behind the reception desk, shoulders shaking in desperation for any kind of comfort that these won't be his last moments.

A Chitauri soldier's face suddenly swooped down in front of him. Screeching with a weapon at the ready. His heart thumped with dread as the soldier looked ready to pass his death sentence.

Until, out of the blue, a voice was heard.

"TIMBER!"

Ophelia shot through the air like she was just punted by Thor's hammer and collided with the unfortunate Chitauri that was in her path. The alien crashing into several of its comrades before smashing through a window and vanishing out of view.

'Why didn't I come with breaks?' Ophelia thought to herself before launching her body to the nearest Chitauri. Her fist connected with flesh as the street fighter pelted the enemy with well-placed kicks and punches. Mindful of the several dozen civilians around her Ophelia didn't use any nuclear blasts. Not yet confident in her ability to keep the blast radius to the Chitauri alone. 

Using the bodies of one of the aliens as a shield, Ophelia had to work double time to keep the Chitauri's attacks from hitting anyone around her. She either knocked their guns to the ceiling or to each other, keeping the attention away from the children and teachers. Ophelia catapulted her temporary shield at the final group of soldiers before quickly stomping on their heads for good measure.

When the final Chitauri was put down, Ophelia took a moment to catch her breath, leaning on the nearest desk. She was starting to feel the effects of the last few hours of fighting. While the energy she absorbed from stars was limitless, her physical body's stamina couldn't say the same. Even she was beginning to tire.

"Are they gone?" A timid voice spoke up from the reception desk. The little boy peeked his head out when he couldn't hear anymore screeches, dried tears on his face. Ophelia straightened up from her short break, seeing more civilians emerge from their hiding spots.

"For now. But they'll probably come back, so you need to find better hiding spots without any big windows. Somewhere basement level with a door you can lock." Ophelia explained as more and more civilians came out, kneeling in front of the boy to check him over for any injuries.