― chapter 49.

❝ with all due respect, i don't exactly see you kicking ass the way we do

❝ with all due respect, i don't exactly see you kicking ass the way we do. ❞

"THEY WHAT?" JOHNNY ASKED in disbelief, shaking his head with confusion.

"Th-they can't do that," Miguel protested weakly, shaking his head as well.

Ayane bit her nail, frowning deeply. Honestly, this was not the worst thing to her. It would at least be a way to keep Miguel from getting hurt again.

"I'm sure it's not that bad," she tried to console, placing her hand on Miguel's shoulder. "I don't think it would take too much convincing for them to change their minds."

Only, she hoped they wouldn't.

Ayane went to Reseda with Miguel and Johnny, as Miguel still wanted to train more.

"You need to tell them what karate means to you," Miguel said to Johnny as they got out his car. "How you started Cobra Kai to help kids like me, taught us how to stand up for ourselves."

Ayane adjusted the strap of her backpack on her shoulder as she walked alongside Miguel, frowning again.

"Maybe this is a blessing in disguise," Johnny finally replied thoughtfully.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Miguel quickly countered.

But Ayane knew what Johnny meant.

"It's not like you were even gonna fight anyway," Johnny continued, turning to face Miguel.

The words clearly hurt Miguel as he retorted, "Of course I was."

Ayane looked up at him, shaking her head. "Not with an accident as bad as yours. You're not up to your full strength, Miguel. I know how it feels."

He exchanged a look with her. "Yeah, but you still ended up competing anyway, didn't you?"

Johnny cut into their conversation, "Look. Training with no contact is one thing, I can't risk you getting hurt again."

And for once, Ayane and Johnny agreed on something. But Miguel was not having it.

"That's not fair!" he defensively replied. "I'm working hard, I'm getting better!"

"But it's not safe-" Ayane tried to reason, but Miguel snapped at her, "I wasn't talking to you."

She jerked her head back, raising an eyebrow. Miguel turned his head from Johnny back to her, quickly realizing he had messed up.