Homestead

I've never lived anywhere else until now.
My cozy abode down on the southern coast. Well, it wasn't exactly on the coast. A two hour drive down to one of the best beaches you'd ever see. Though, it comes with roughmemories. It all seems like a blur at the moment, being in a new place can do that to you. Jet lag is a bitch..

I scoff and turn my head to the side, reaching up and pulling the brim of my black baseball cap slightly downward, attempting to further hide from the gazes of passerby. It thunders somewhere behind me, the sun having been gone for several hours as the hot morning turned overcast, and now into a anvil shaped mass edging its way over the city.

According to the Apartment Complex's website, I'd be almost ten hours from a spot on a beach. But it's not like I'd be going to one soon anyways. I worked my ass off to afford this apartment and I'll get my moneys worth. I chose a high rise joint, one of the highest spots in the city. It was only one floor, but plenty of space for activities. It came with several added bonuses, one of which was a spare room, which I requested would be preset for a home gym. I mainly wanted the view of the brilliant skyline, especially at night.. those kinda thing always gave me a certain sense of solitude, and with that, I felt comfortable spending about half my life savings.

Y/n: "Heh.. after several months I guess I made it.."

I mumble under my breath while dodging several people on the sidewalk, approaching an intersection. I loosen one of the straps on my backpack, the other hand in my pocket around my phone. I gripped it tightly. It's not that I feel anxious, but I feel out of place. Being a head higher than most of the crowd out today, I stop at the intersection and I look up and take in the full view of the massive black rectangular obelisk of glass, with marble pillars and gilded outlines which surround entrance. I quickly notice that the dark storm cell behind me is reflected clearly onto the building, looking almost dangerous. This was the tallest and best lit building in the city, but one could only see that when dark blues and purples overtook the pale of day. It looked very fancy, maybe even posh, but it was nothing architecturally significant. Aside from a helicopter landing pad and a famously large penthouse at the top.

I stop admiring it and look ahead of me again, waiting for the traffic to clear and the little blue light with the walking man on it to turn on. I take my hat off and fluff my hair with my fingers, putting it back on after. As I walked in after crossing the street, the warm lights of the lobby greeted me. The automatic door shut behind me, leaving the sounds of noisy cars and distant thunder drowned out by a familiar tune on the loudspeakers. I walk up closer to the front desk, a confident looking woman standing behind of it, and two younger looking men in front of it. Using my thumbs to hang onto the straps of my backpack, I stop walking a few feet behind them. Just as I'm getting used to the slightly cooler air and the soft piano music, the two men pipe up.

Man 1: "AWWW MAN! NOTHING!??"
He slides a golden envelope back to the woman. She giggled softly, holding her hand up to her mouth.

???: "Sorry Mister Jakobs, not this time."
She smiled warmly as he walked away, his hand on his head, the other young man following him with an arm on his shoulder.
Man 2: "Sorry bro.. that reeaally sucks..."

I squint in confusion briefly, watching them disappear around the corner.

???: "Sir? Do you have a reservation?"
I step forward, able to get a clear view of her. She had a golden bordered white name tag reading "Laney". She had long, light blonde hair, a streak of red on one side. She was dressed rather formal and composed herself well, but the contrast in hair was nice to see.

Y/n: "Ahh.. yes I do. I'll be staying here as a resident actually. "
I look up at her face and fidget in my other pocket briefly, then unfold a piece of paper and set it on the desk, turning it to her. She picked it up and read it over. She nodded several times, and opened a drawer, filing it away under something I couldn't read. She then took another piece of paper out and handed it to me, leaving her pointer finger on it.