Chapter 13

“What do you mean this will kill the entire world?” Tim started pacing in front of me while I sat on my bike.

“I mean, this is some sort of virus that is air born and nearly impossible to kill once it’s released. I don’t know a lot about it.” I sighed, looking at the fragile vial in my hands.

“How do you even know about it?” His voice was almost accusing, but his body language spoke of his nerves.

“My parents discussed it when I was little when they thought I wasn’t listening. I mean, it could be something else they were talking about, but I’m pretty sure it’s this.” I frowned at the blue liquid. “It’s kind of like the Resident Evil virus, only our bodies won’t reanimate.”

“Well that’s… settling.” Tim ran a hand through his hair and sighed. “What are you going to do with it?”

I sat there for a moment, thinking about it. I couldn’t very well give this to Ra’s; who knows what he’d do with it. But I only have a few minutes to do something with it, otherwise Ra’s’ minions will find me; and it. I looked up at the boy before me, weighing my options carefully before holding it out to him.

“Take this to Bruce. Tell him to give it to his very powerful friend to destroy. I’m assuming a lot of radiation can take care of it. Maybe he’ll give it to Superman, who’ll just fly it out to space and destroy it,” I mused to myself before nodding in agreement… with myself. I looked back up at Tim, who seemed to be calculating my intentions. “Bruce’s friend can deal with this. Just don’t drop it or anything okay?” I motioned for him to come and take it.

“Alright,” he agreed warily. “I’ll take it to him.” Tim grabbed the vial and wrapped it in his glove before shoving that in his pocket.

“Please hurry and bring that to him, other people have been looking for it.” I spoke quickly, assembling the box and removing my locks. As soon as I pulled the hearts out of their spaces, the original engraving rose back to the surface; making it look as if nothing had happened.

“Alright, you be careful with whatever it is you’re doing.” Tim nodded at me before running back toward the mansion.

I put the box into the bag with my cane and other weapons before staring up my bike. I shivered as a particularly cold wind blew through my wet clothes. As I was exiting the Wayne property I could make out thunder in the distance; tonight was just not my kind of night.

---

It started pouring rain when I got to the center of the city and its traffic. My helmet kept my face dry and warm for the most part. My black long-sleeved shirt, as well as my shoes and jeans, was soaking wet and weighed twice as much as it should. It seemed as if every traffic light, taxi, and bus in the city made it a point to slow me down. By the time I finally reached the old shipping warehouse I was soaked, cold, probably sick, and just plain aggravated.

I turned off my bike and pulled out a tarp so I could cover my bike and clothes bags. I grabbed my cane out of my messenger bag and extended it. I had started to get weak while I was driving and figured a walking stick was in perfect order.

Lightning flashed across the sky and struck near one of the neighboring warehouses as I started up the stone steps. The building itself looked to be in terrible condition. The metal roof looked like it was rusting and just moments from falling in on itself. The walls were warped, making it seem that if I touched them they’d shatter from bending out so far. The huge metal doors were rusty and had a few dings in them, but for the most part they were stable. I grabbed one of the handles and pulled it open, gasping at the inside.