07. uncomfortable and awkward

In the days following that night, Clay and Adaline spend a lot of time "training" for the tournament. It mostly just ends up as Clay attempting to teach Adaline how to pvp and Adaline forgetting everything seconds later. It's a funny cycle that just continues to prove how horrible Adaline's memory really is.

       "Have I told you about the thing with my classmate?" 11 pm, Adaline sits at her pc, editing, with her earbuds plugged into her phone.

        "No? What happened with your classmate?" Dream is speedrunning, just practicing as he talks to Adaline.

        "I kinda freaked out when he asked me out and said I have a boyfriend, and he asked who, and I said Wilbur so now he thinks I'm dating Wilbur-" Adaline laughs, shaking her head. Clay, however, doesn't laugh like she's expecting him to. When his familiar wheeze doesn't come through, she frowns. "Clay?"

Another beat of silence. "What? Sorry, I was distracted, just texting someone," Clay does seem distracted. Adaline's expression doesn't change, she's glad he can't see her. This is making her overthink in a frustrating way.

       "Alright." Adaline quiets down, not talking as much, and instead listening to Clay try and keep the silence away by making weird noises and humming.

At one point, he dies speedrunning and bangs his hand against the table, causing Adaline to laugh. Based on the knock on her door, she laughed louder than she originally intended.

       "What are you- Oh, are you on the phone?" Madi quickly quiets down once she realizes.

       "Yeah, you wanna say hi?" Adaline doesn't wait for an answer, only unplugs her earbuds and puts it on speaker.

       "Wait is it Wilbur? Who is it? Who are you? Identify yourself!" Madi leans on the back of Adaline's chair, talking into the phone.

There's mumbling on the boy's side of the phone and then Adaline thinks she hears a sigh. "Clay. Not Wilbur."

       "Oooh, you're the speedrunner! Addy never shuts up about you. She's always talking-" Madi starts, but Adaline quickly pushes her away from the phone and shoos her out the door.

What she said isn't true, not fully at least, she has brought up Clay but she doesn't talk about him like a middle schooler with their first real crush. Madi did the same thing with Wilbur the other night when the two of them were messing around and playing random dating sims late at night.

Clay and Adaline quickly go silent. It's uncomfortable and awkward. To combat this creeping feeling of awkward tension, Adaline hums a song to herself. Some random front bottoms song that she can barely remember but that one part is stuck in her head.

Any other time she would just silently leave the call when the conversation died out.

       "I've got a question," Clay says out of the blue.

       "I may have an answer." Adaline responds, checking the time. Almost twelve am. She has class at nine in the morning and yet, here she is.

       "Why'd you end up going on love or host?" Clay asks, catching Adaline off guard in some way.

       "I don't know, I guess I just wanted to try something out of my comfort zone?" The truth is that she knew it helped grow her channel but that just sounds bad. "And everyone in my community wanted me to go on, so I went."

       "Why'd you pick Wilbur?" This is the question that really throws her off.

There was no real reason for her picking Wilbur. She thought he picked host, out of everyone there, she thought he was the most likely to host her. She never intended to try and find love on the show and she never intended to go on that stupid "date" but she did.