Chahat

CHAHAT: longing

Four years later

"Muma..." a small voice called from a distance grabbing my attention from the chopping the vegetables. I was trying to prepare the new recipe I had learned online. "See to that you put this chopping once all the spices are done," I informed the cook assisting me.

Her old figure allowed her to pass me a small smile. I felt guilty for asking her to work at such an old age. Years back after a few months of my arrival, I had asked Yash to remove her from the job but he informed me about her financial status and her lack of support system. Her shivering hand were adding one after the other ingredient. As her head nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry Aarohi, you go and manage him." She shook her head in a playful manner. She was much aware of my son's tantrums. I passed her a smile before walking out of the kitchen. My eyes scanned for my bundle of joy. And on landing on the set of black orbs, I sighed in relief. Just a glimpse of those set of familiar orbs and I could feel the presence of Rishi around me.

I couldn't believe four years had crossed by! Four years of Rishi living me alone to survive. I never thought that I could survive without him for a second but I did and the biggest reason was the soul rushing towards me with a frown covering his spirit.

I walked towards him, a beautiful smile playing on my lips. He seemed so cute in that small cute uniform of his. Recently he had started going to school for the initial learning. Though he enjoyed going and meeting new people in the school environment yet it was a task to wake him in the morning. The one trait he was gifted due to me. He hates morning!

"How was your day?" I inquired reaching his height as I kneeled before him.

"Amazing..." his eyes missed the shine it contained. I stared at him keenly what was wrong with him?

"Is something troubling my babu?" I questioned carrying him in my arms while strolling towards the couch where his bag was lying on the floor. I had scolded him enough but the result was the same! The minute he entered the mansion, his school bag would be thrown on the floor. I glared at him eyeing his bag but he overlooked my threat.

"Rohan had gone on a picnic." He muttered frowning once again. I climbed the stairs while listening to him grumbling about his friend's picnic. "They went on his parent's wed..ding... anni..sry..." He fumbled with words attempting to voice it out properly. "What is it, Muma?" he questioned getting curious about the new word he learned.

"Wedding anniversary..." I pronounced it correctly for him while he kept gazing at my lips to understand it. I giggled at his action, getting into his room. I rolled my eyes on finding the room neatly clean, the entire scenario would change within a minute. I made him seat on the bed while I kneeled to remove his pair of shoes. He was curiously staring at me for answers. "Wedding anniversary, is a function of celebrating the day of wedding each year." I attempted to describe him in a less complicated manner. "You remember we attended a function of Uncle Ahmed?" For which he nodded, recollecting it. "It just like that... some gives party while others go on trips or picnic, the way we do for your birthdays." I ended the explanation with a pull on his cheek as I walked towards the wardrobe to grab a new set of clothes but his curious question halted me on the track.

"When is your weding anni...sry, Mumma?" His sudden interrogation made a wave of sadness reach my spirit. "When were you and dada married?" I could feel the excitement in his voice. The same enthusiasm that filled his orbs each time he glanced at the wedding picture hanging in our room. The huge, enormous picture that I despise the most.

It had been four years of marrying Yash Agarwal. Four years, of transforming my name to Aarohi Yash Agarwal but I could never forget my identity. I could never forget Mrs Aarohi Rishi Shikawat. I felt a pull and saw Aarush attempting to grab my attention. "Mumma... please..." he was pleading on seeing me not offering him any response.