Knowing their story

Avishek's POV

Seema surprised me today. She was always so calm and composed, like nothing can shake her off, but looking at her gripping my arm for dear life during the movie made me realize she had her own fears, own emotions that she keeps locked in. I peek at her from the corner of my eye to see her glancing at my scratches. I smile at the memory.

We reached the house and Vikram went back after dropping Ru. I don't know why she keeps insisting on driving with him. It's inconvenient and extra work for Vikram but he does it anyway. All of us disappeared into our room after dinner.

I was in the bed scrolling through my phone when Seema came to the room.

"Here" she thrust an ointment towards me.

"Really, it's fine. I don't need that." I said putting my phone aside.

"Still, just put it on" she insisted.

I sighed, but took the ointment, applied it and showed it to her, "There, all done."

She inspected it, nodded her head and went to her side of the bed.

I shook my head at her stubbornness and turned off the light. After few moments, I sensed her moving. She was a restless sleeper, always moving in her sleep. Finally, after what felt like hours, she stopped moving, indicating she had fallen asleep. Thank God.

I opened my eyes to see morning light starting to creep in into the room. I was never an early riser, but my body woke up earlier than before these days. Must be the old age. I stretched my arms and turned towards the side, only to bump into something.

I went absolutely still. I look down at Seema who seemed to be clutching the hem of my shirt.

What the –

This had never happened before. We both avoided each other so much, its like our body, even unconscious, got the memo. My eyes roamed around her. She was crouching in a fetal position, like she was trying to hide, her hand fisting my shirt.

Was she scared? Oh, was she scared because of the movie yesterday?

For the first time in my life, I took time to take her in. Her hair, as usual, as in low ponytail, few strands escaping to frame her face, her cheeks, mushed against the pillow, her lips jutted, almost like pouting. As my eyes roamed around her face, something stirred in my chest. Almost like, a longing. Before the thought freaked me out, she started to stir. I closed my eyes and loosened my body to make it seem like I was still asleep. I didn't want to face the awkwardness.

Few moments later, I heard her whispering, "shit, shit, shit".

I almost smiled. I'd never heard her curse.

I opened my eyes when I heard the door close. I looked at it for a long time, trying to rub away the feeling I felt earlier.

I finally got up, freshened up and went downstairs for breakfast. Both Ru and Seema were there, talking. I got tea without asking for it, but it seemed like Seema was ignoring me. All breakfast, I tried to catch her eye, but she once didn't look at me.

Damn it, I was acting like a teenage boy whose crush ignored him. I shrugged off the feeling and went to get ready for office.

Ruchika's POV

Never in my wildest dream, had I imagined acting as a matchmaker between Avishek and his wife. When I came in this house, I was grateful to Seema. She let a stranger stay at her house without even questioning me once. It was when Avishek told me that Seema knew about his past, I started having doubts. No woman would bear her husband being close to his past. I started observing those two. They were so formal with each other. Like they were housemates who lived together. When I met Vikram at Avishek's office, I learned that he had been with Avishek since college.