99

"Why...why would Carol do thi- this to me...?" Marie said as she let her tears stream down her face.

"She's Evelina's lap dog. Of course she would." Eric suddenly spoke. The three women were quite surprised. They didn't realize he woke up...

"I've been under her for years. I know how extreme she could get, just to accomplish her goal." Eric gave Marie a glance. "Your pretty lucky. If miss Serina wasn't there, you'd have died."

"....." Marie shuddered. She looked at Serina with thankfulness. If it wasn't for her, she wouldn't even be here.

Angelina sighed and rubbed her forehead.

"Serina, go and send Marie back to her room. Don't attract too much attention. Make sure to treat her wounds and let her rest." Angelina walked over to Marie and wiped away her tears.

"Rest and focus on recovering. You don't need to serve me, I'll give you a two week off to recover. Before then, Serina and Lia will be the ones serving me." Angelina ordered.

"Okay miss." Marie weakly nodded.

**********
Night eventually fell and Angelina was finally able to think about everything.

She sat down in front of her vanity table and stared at the mirror in front of her.

How did her life get so complicated and stressful? She was just a poor beggar that became a rich miss. Now she's dealing with all of this.

Her head ached from thinking. From the corner of her eye, she caught sight of the pair emerald earrings. She reach for it and played with it for a while.

She couldn't help but think back to the doll.

A knock was heard from the balcony.

"...?" Angelina looked and saw a man wearing a cloak. She was frightened. But as soon as she saw the man's worried face, she was able to calm down.

She walked towards the balcony and opened the glass door.

"You majes- um... Charles?" Angelina called while holding a thin short blanket too cover her nightgown.

"Lily are you okay?" He asked worryingly. His voice was shaking. His hands reaching out to her, but he stopped himself.

"Oh I'm alright..." Angelina smiled. But he still looked worried. His eyes examined her from head to toe. Trying to make sure if she really was okay.

Angelina chuckled at his concerned look. To reassure him, Angelina stretched out her hand and rubbed the top of his head. "I'm really alright. Why worry so much?'

"Hm..." Charles pouted. But he couldn't keep his frown for long and softened his expression at her gentleness. He smiled and his cheeks turned rosy.

But his eyes dimmed when he noticed the sadness in her eyes. He reached out his arm and pulled her in for a hug. Angelina didn't reject it.

She really needed a hug right now.

"Don't be afraid Lily. I'll always be here okay?" He whispered into her ears.

*************
"What..?" Evelina frowned. Her expression cold and dark.

"I-I'm sorry m'lady! Tha-that maid...Serina is too skilled! I wasn't able to-" before the trembling Carol could finish, Evelina slapped her.

"Stupid maid. How useless you are!" Evelina took out a handkerchief and wiped her hand, then she threw it to the ground as if it was trash. As if it was dirty.

"...." Carol no longer had the courage and strength to speak.

*************
Time passed and Marie was able to recover. Although she would get headaches sometimes.