9. Departure

Subaru clicked his pen in a stressful rhythm as he sat on his desk gritting his teeth. He never knew homework can be this hard, especially since the subject is totally something he is actually interested in. Inch by inch he moved his pen towards the available options given on the paper, but he only hesitated before moving onto another without filling it out.

The homework was given by Prof. Port, the one that teaches Grimm Biology. The man was in his eyes, quite a try-hard at not being boring. Even his more naive self a couple of years ago was more exciting than him, even though he multiple times cringed at his past self.

He shortly after tries to think up things to clear some stress on his homework. Things that he could actually think about without being confused. He stopped his stressful attitude and immediately began to think, placing his hand on his chin while he placed down his pen on the desk.

For him, it has been almost a month since he was summoned here with Beatrice. They now have their own dorm, complete with a bunk bed and other furnitures inside a room the size of the previous dorm they stayed in, aka team RWBY's. Of course, they are not using the top bed, as Beatrice only wanted to sleep beside him.

He had made new relationships and people he could call his friends in this new world both he and Beatrice is in now. He even got to learn some more about the world itself, unlocking his aura, and some genuinely interesting things that would help him improve his capabilities overall. He internally chuckled to himself, taking classes like a normal student again felt weirdly nostalgic.

During his first days here, he was at first confused and sad, immediately knowing that for a while he may not be able to get back. But that thought was temporarily put down when they were suddenly attacked by Grimm, which he speculated would've come in the hundreds if he stayed there for too long.

After that, a few shenanigans of his occurred, such as trying to self harm and then sobbing on Beatrice's chest. Talking about his self-harm, even if it was only a half truth, before being slapped by Blake. Then shortly after that a dance with Ruby Rose.

He internally laughed at those moments, smiling too. He genuinely felt warmth when they began to comfort him and actually try to help about his problems. It made him feel lighter now that he was learning to ask people for their help.

Now that he thought about it again, the friends he had made in his old world, back at the mansion, back in Lugunica, 'how are they doing now?' he thought.

Emilia, Garfiel, Otto, Petra, Frederica, Ram, Rem, heck even Roswaal himself. He's worried about them, wondering if they'll be alright without him in their lives. He assumed they would be, after all they're more capable than him, especially Otto, he is arguably the second smartest in the camp after Roswaal himself. But since he started to see his significance thanks to that talk on that night with Blake, he wondered again about their safety. Questions began popping up in his mind, and he tried to answer all of them all based on assumptions.

Will they be alright without him? Probably yes, but most likely no as well. The Witch Cult and most likely other forces he did not know would take this opportunity to possibly destroy them, but he knows that they can stand and work together if that time ever comes.

Would Emilia break down? Definitely in his eyes, but not as much as that dubbed "kiss of death" loop. He knows that she is stronger as a person now.

Would Ram care? In his mind, most definitely yes. Under that cold and savage persona of hers she truly does care for people around her, especially now that he and Beatrice suddenly disappeared and left Rem alone.