Brokenly Perfect Adelene

Life must go on.

Adelene thought as she sat there like a broken doll looking at the far away sky while rubbing her swelling belly, her tears long dried.

Humming a lullaby with broken cries, she protected the baby in her stomache.

In this moment, Adelene wondered.

For all the sufferings she had suffered, why her?

All her life, why is she treated worst than a garbage. A trash more than trash.

Did she deserve this?

She just gived and give but in the end she was treated like nothing.

During this darkess time of her life, Adelene could not help but reminisce the memories during her childhood.

She was free, most of all happy.

Though their life was simple, with a small broken hut and simple food, playing in mud and running through the fields of earth, those moments, she will never exchange for anything in the world.

Those were really the happiest moments of her life.

Tears ran down like rain from her eyes, she continued humming numb from the feeling from the beating she took earlier from her husband.

"Do I deserve this?" Adelene again questioned this to no one else but just the empty space.

Her eyes wandered around the empty dark room, the darkness surrounding her as if it wanted to eat her whole but this very darkness felt like the most safest place for her to hide.

Like, if she were to stay here, no one would find her.

She really wanted to stay here, just let her hide safely in the hands of the darkness.

'Do I.....deserve this?'

Thinking back now, why did things become like this?

Right, because she was...innocent.

Her father died when she was at such a young age, that was the saddest thing in her life.

Back then, as a young child, she never thought that one day her beloved father would die just like that.

The father who happily smiles every time he comes home, the father who carries her on his back though he was tired and even carrying a sack in front more heavier than her.

He would carry her despite how tired it was and add on her as a burden, imagine how heavy that would be.

She once asked her father, "Why?" He answered, "Because, I don't want you to get tired."

See, where can you find a father like that?

After her father's death, Adelene and her two brothers were adopted by her father's sister.

Being adopted, Adelene thought that they would find a home.

But, what they found is not a home but a nightmare.

From a princess to a maid, Adelene as a young child learned hard work.

From morning till evening, Adelene was working.

She was no more than six to seven years old but she was already cooking the meal, washing the dishes, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, cutting the firewood and many more.

Imagine just how hard this was to a child who just lost their father?

Than finding a family she could lean on, she instead found a group of people finding it amusing abusing her.

From her clothes to her food, nothing was spared.

The youngest daughter of that family cried and asked for her clothes from their mother, because she was spoiled as a child, her mother did as what she wanted and asked Adelene for a few of her clothes.

But a few days later, Adelene no longer have any beautiful clothes and was left with her rag because all her clothes were stolen.

Also, after a tiring work, when she was about to eat to sate her growling stomache, the son of the person who adopted them spit on her food.

But Adelene endured all the hardships, innocent as she is, Adelene still grew up as a kind beautiful young lady.

It was not exaggerated, Adelene grew to be the most beautiful girl in that village.

There were many who wanted Adelene, but because her adopted family kept on intervening, Adelene could not find the right man.

But maybe that was fate, because not too long ago, Adelene met a handsome foreign man who was a little bit older than she was.

Though she did not like him at first, but that did not stop anything to develop between them.

Being with him, she felt happy for the first time in her life.

She thought that things were finally turning for the better, but what yet to come will shatter her.

It was late at night, at this time of day, Adelene would sometimes feel someone touching her.

And one day, she finally knew who this person was. It was none other than, the son of her father's sister.

Just thinking of that time still disgusted her by this day, but that happening somewhat sealed her fate as of today.

If such thing never happened, she would have not left there with the help of her lover.

They ran away together and lived with his parents. She was nervous to meet them but she never thought that they would accept her just like that.

They treated her really well. Very well that, for the first time in her life Adelene felt like she was in the clouds.

Days later, her lover proposed to her and they were about to get married.

But before that, they would first work and earn money before they get married.

So, they did just that.

Years later, Adelene went home after experiencing what the life outside was.

She waited for her fiancee to come back home so they could finally get married, but who knew that a friend of hers would come and asked her to work with her.

Without thinking twice, Adelene followed her.

But what she didn't know, her fiancee also got home on the next day after she left.

Knowing this years later, it was the deepest regret in her life.

Adelene was brought into a house, her friend visited someone she knew in that house.

Later, she brought someone for Adelene to meet. It was a man.

Adelene went through the formalities and forgot about him later thinking that he will just be like the wind, gone as if he was never part of her life.

But this is were she was wrong.

Later on, her friend told her to go with him because they were going to visit his girlfriend who was hospitalised. And Adelene's work was to take care of her.

Without knowing it, Adelene was led into a lion's mouth and was sent to her doom.

Adelene was like an innocent lamb for slaughter as she followed the man who will be the source of her sufferings in the future.

She was led into a room, he said that this house is his aunt's and this is her room.

Then, he gave her a glass of water even without Adelene asking him.

With a sip, Adelene fell into a deep deep slumber that even when she wakes up would forever be a nightmare to her.

Smiling in agony, Adelene held a bottle of gasoline in her hand.

Stroking her belly sadly, she hummed a lullaby for the last time.