Chapter Twenty Six- Charged

The cages rattled as they travelled down the road towards the ever-looming city.

The Suns were high in the sky, sending a scorching heat to the ground below.

Eboni had sipped half of her water without having it taken from her. It had been just enough to wet her dry lips, but she was beginning to get desperately thirsty.

Glancing to the other cages she watched as they sat on the floor, their heads bowed to save their eyes from the blinding Suns. The dirt roads turned to stone as they entered the city. Eboni sighed as they passed through a large gate, its shadow bringing a moment's brief cool relief.

Crowds gathered on the side of the street, watching confused as they took in the mass of marching soldiers and the horse drawn cages.

The crowds began to follow them through the streets.

Eboni stood from the floor of her cage, the others doing the same. The streets grew wider as they neared their destination- a large circular arena with no roof.

The footfalls of the soldiers stopped as the horses walked through a large archway into the sandy centre of the arena.

Eboni gasped as she looked around. Thousands of people, most who had followed them in the street had begun to fill the steep seats that lined the circular wall.

Directly in front of her was another archway, only this one was blocked by solid gold bars. Above the archway, a matching solid gold balcony jutted out from the wall.

Eboni scowled as she saw two thrones that sat majestically inside.

Grabbing the iron bars; she stopped herself from falling as the horses pulling the cages came to a sudden halt.

Soldiers ran forward and detached the horses, taking them away, leaving just the cages sat in the sandy centre.

The Commander appeared on the balcony, first surveying the crowds that had now filled the seats, then looking down on the cages. They had been lined up so the Empress would be able to see them all.

Where was the Empress? Eboni wondered. And who was the second throne for?

She didn't have to wait long to get her answers. The sudden roar of the crowd indicated the arrival of their ruler.

Glancing to the others she saw Kas, his fists clenched by his side, scowling up at the Empress and the man who had walked out beside her.

Eboni could tell he was trying hard not to use his powers to just end their lives now.

Adjusting her glittering red dress and long draping sleeves; the Empress sat down on her throne. Brushing a strand of hair nonchalantly away from her face as though she was about to watch over a show.

Though that's what Eboni supposed the Empress thought of it all- it was a show.

The Commander walked to the ledge of the balcony and raised his hand high in the air. It was obviously a well know signal as a hush of silence fell across the crowd.

Eboni sucked in s sharp breath. The silence of a thousand people was unnerving. She could hear her heart beat thrumming in her ears.

"Sister Eboni. Brother Bren. Chief Atu. Warrior Kas. Sir Orlan. Princess Iasa. You have been arrested for the murder of the Seer Frey." The Commanders voice boomed throughout the arena.

Gasps of horror and shouts of "no!" And "hang them!" Whooshed through the air.

But Eboni drowned them all out. A choked gasp escaped her throat and tears stung her eyes as she clutched the bars keeping her locked inside the cage.