Chapter 7

Esmeray watched Klaus try to blend in.

He had woken Katherine and Esmeray up as soon as daylight streamed through the windows, asking them to help him be a good fake Alaric.

They had to speak to him about who Alaric even was and what his relationship was with the Salvatores and any other associates. Katherine had been most displeased, since she was still tied in the chair, though now without vervain. Otherwise, she would have loved to spill the beans about the others.

"Ugh," said Klaus dramatically as he looked through the shirts in Alaric's closet. "Who is this guy, Safari Sam?" He held up two shirts and held them up to his body. "Okay, bad, or badder?"

Katherine, who had been compelled to be truthful (and helpful) glared at him. "The dark colors suit you better."

Klaus smirked. "And what does my little werewitch think?"

Esmeray, who despite being pleased with their deal, did not like being addressed like this, and stared at him as though she would like to asphyxiate him with either shirt (she wasn't picky). "The darker one," she agreed, shooting a venomous look at Katherine.

"Thank you, honey," he told her, setting the shirt aside. "Okay, Katerina, pop quiz. The dagger and white ash are in the Salvatores' possession, correct?"

She nodded dejectedly. "The dagger was used to kill Elijah. You'll find him in the basement of the Salvatore house."

Klaus clasped his hands together. "Okay, that dagger needs to stay exactly where it is. The last thing I need to do is resurrect Elijah. Oh, that guy is a buzzkill." He came closer to Esmeray, because she was sitting near Alaric's desk. "Tell me, what did you think of my brother?"

"He's nice," she said truthfully. "He was kind enough to help me learn about the world. I wouldn't be able to speak English if it wasn't for him."

Klaus rolled his eyes. "You ladies, you always prefer Elijah. What is it with that? My brothers and I are just as good looking and yet they always go for him. He had that long hair going on up until the 1800s, it was atrocious."

"Maybe they like the fact your brother doesn't kidnap them," said Esmeray reasonably, casting Klaus a stink eye.

He laughed heartily. "You're just as snarky even with a deal in place, aren't you, love?"

"I said I'd help you, that never meant I was going to be very delighted about it. You want my magic, you're getting the attitude with it."

Klaus looked at Katherine while pointing at Esmeray. "I like her," he told her. "She's like you but... more powerful and actually cooperative. Not to mention her remarks are a lot funnier."

Katherine gritted her teeth. "Don't forget you're on the outs with your girlfriend Jenna," she replied, getting him back on track to impersonate Alaric properly.

"Right," said Klaus, peeling off the shirt he was wearing and changing it right in front of them. "Elena's aunt. For all the lies about Isobel. What else?"

Katherine let out a harsh breath. "That's it."

He stopped as he pulled the shirt down and tucked it into his pants. He walked over to her and grabbed her face, making her flinch. "Oh, so jumpy..."

"Please, just kill me," said Katherine quietly. "I've told you everything that I know."

"You see, I believe that you believe that, but what would you not know?" he mused. "What could they be keeping from you? Hmm? Anything? Tell me."

He easily compelled her to spill, "They were trying to see if Bonnie could find a way to kill an Original without a dagger."

Klaus made a face. "Bonnie the best friend? I thought you said she didn't have her powers anymore."