49

Without a second thought, you jumped in the hero's direction.

You reared back your arm, preparing to land a blow to his head.

He moved quickly to the side, causing you to smash a hole through the wall.

"Oh, come on, I just redecorated in here!"

You pulled your arm out, sending bits of plaster and dried paint falling to the ground. "You son of a bitch."

He held up his hands. "Woah Woah. I can explain the picture, alright? I get why you would be confused but just listen to me for a sec."

The casual tone of his voice caused your rage to increase tenfold. Teleporting in front of him, you grabbed him by the face and pushed him down to the floor.

Using your other hand, you took the knife from your belt and pressed it against the skin of his neck. You were panting, and you could still feel the stinging pricks of tears in your eyes. "The tracker, where is it?! How have you been keeping tabs on me?!"

His eyes went wide and the casualness of his voice was replaced with something else. "How- how did you figure that out?"

"You left your laptop open, idiot." You pressed the knife further into his skin. "Now, answer me!"

"There's a tracker in the suit and the phone that I gave you, but I promise, I can explain everything."

"Explain?! Explain how you've been using me, how you've been lying to me, how you're working with the same people who have taken everything from me?!"

Your voice broke as you continued to shout. "I trusted you! This whole time I have been defending you, thinking that you were one of the few people in the world who actually gave a shit about me!"

A tear fell from your face, landing on his cheek just as he shut his eyes.

"How could you?"

Hawks opened his eyes once again, a sigh escaping from his lips. "None of this was supposed to happen. Believe me when I say that I had no idea that you were going to be involved."

Beads of red had formed in the area where you had the weapon pressed into his skin.

"You expect me to listen to you? How am I supposed to believe a word that you say?!"

"You don't have to believe me, all I'm asking is that you take a minute to hear me out."

Nausea had begun to swell in your stomach.There was a struggle in looking at the man. He was someone you reluctantly let into your life, someone who'd gained your trust, your friendship day after day.

Yet, it was the same someone who had been working against you the entire time.

Your hands shook, there was nothing he could say that would ever cause you to trust him once again.

"I'm turning you in."

He inhaled deeply. "I can't let you do that."

"Let me? Do you think you're the one with the power here? You're lucky I haven't killed you yet!"

"Is that so?" His eyes darted around the room. "I hate having to threaten you, kid, but I need you to let me explain."

He raised an arm and pointed to each of the upper corners of the walls. "Cameras, they're all there, recording our every movement."

"Cameras are easily broken."

"The footage is uploaded to all of my devices. Not just the ones here in my office. They don't record sound, only movement. So, try and kill me, or try to turn me in, and this footage will be leaked to the police and the Hero Commission. All that they'll see is an unstable kid waiting in my office and attacking me unprovoked."