Chapter 13

There was no chance of it staying secret for much longer.

Mid-August came around, and they were still at it, meeting in the dead of night. More often than not, it was Damon who needed the connection. It was the reason he'd kept Andie around for so long.

And yet, this was so different from Andie. Esmeray stayed without need for compulsion. She didn't judge when he spoke to her about his irritation. She didn't flinch when he talked about murder. When he told her to leave because he was getting angry and didn't want to hurt her, she listened. She let him feed off of her and came to his side the instant he gave her the signal. She had more interesting things to say, and she knew magic that helped him feel relaxed.

He was itching to tell someone because it was just too big of a thing to keep quiet. In the same manner, she wanted to talk about it with someone else. Neither of them were feeling anything for the other, but there were certain things that they would have liked to tell someone else.

Currently, they were at the Gilbert House. Damon was helping Elena make some chili, and Esmeray was sitting at the table looking through a cookbook and trying to memorize the recipes. She refrained from looking at the two of them, because she didn't want Elena to pick up any suspicious stares.

"I just don't know why you want to bring chili to a potluck," chided Damon. "Everybody brings chili." He looked up as Alaric walked in. "Hey, Ric."

"What's up?" he asked, nodding to Esmeray.

"What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?" Elena asked him.

Alaric huffed. "Ah... those Founder's parties aren't really my thing."

"Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili," said Damon, gesturing down to the pot in front of Elena, who looked indignant. "It's an old family recipe, okay?"

"Yeah, I know," said Damon. "I knew your old family. They made sucky chili." He smirked at her and she laughed, which made Alaric narrow his eyes. "Why are you here, exactly?" he asked.

"She knows," he said, nudging Elena.

The doppelgänger rolled her eyes. "He thinks I'm going to break. I'm not going to break. I am just going to keep making chili, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't want to be found."

"She's in denial," Damon whispered.

"I'm not in denial," she argued.

"No?" asked Damon, touching the necklace she had on. "You're still wearing this necklace. Isn't this the reminder of your unbreakable bond with Stefan?"

Alaric seemed almost uncomfortable with this exchange. Esmeray cleared her throat, making Damon step away from Elena. "Do I have to go to this thing?" she asked.

"You should come," urged Elena. "Caroline will be there and you can socialize with people. You hardly go anywhere, and I can't imagine anyone would enjoy being in the Boarding House with only Damon for company."

"Hey, I'm excellent company," said Damon smugly. "We play beer pong, except hers are always filled with water because she's too chicken to have any alcohol."

Esmeray shot him a cheeky smile. "Next time, watch yourself, because I can easily fill your cups with vervain."

"Speaking of vervain." Damon checked his phone. "I have to go help the Sheriff with something. See you later." He walked out, and Elena continued the make the chili, but Alaric looked at Esmeray and made a face as if he wanted to talk to her.