Chapter 14

"Are you ignoring me, love?"

He stared at her, seeing that she hadn't even shown signs of hearing him. She had, of course, but was too weak to even grit her teeth. Her breathing remained shallow.

Klaus knelt in front of her, holding her face and making her look at him. She closed her eyes, and he scoffed. "Are you really so angry at me, love?"

"Get off," she hissed, her voice incredibly soft. "Let me go."

"Not happening, unfortunately for you," he said, standing up and clapping his hands together. "You see, your pal Damon name dropped someone who I very much dislike. Seeing as the two of you are so close, I'll need you to clean up his mess."

Esmeray huffed. "What... makes you think..."

"Don't pretend, love, I know all about your little arrangement." He came to stand behind her, drumming his fingers on the back of the chair. "Quite surprising, really, that you went for him of all people. Not my favorite of the Salvatore brothers..."

The hybrid in the chair didn't try to face him. She was trying to move her fingers, hoping some sort of burst might happen that would send rubble crushing him in a deep pit. No such thing happened. She knew she had her magic, but he'd clearly put so much wolfsbane inside of her that it seemed virtually impossible for her to be able to do a spell.

"I took the liberty of letting a few herbs burn in the room," he said wickedly, seeing she was twitching and trying to find a solution. "Your magic is suppressed. The Original witch came in handy, for once..."

Esmeray hardly understood what he was saying. He decided that at least, he ought to tell her what mischief he'd been up to. "I know you were in the Smoky Mountains that night," he told her. "I could hear you. I chose to ignore you because I knew your blood would be quite useless. You already know, of course, that I had quite a spot of trouble trying to make my hybrids. However, I soon determined the reason. And I think it's something you'll want to hear."

The hybrid tried to pretend she wasn't interested, but she had to admit, her curiosity was getting the better of her. Klaus smirked, seeing she tried to lift her head. He disconnected the IV, and let her lean back in the chair. "A fair warning, love, I've had the building spelled so that you can't leave unless I want you to," he told her. "As for using your magic against me when we leave... I'd advise you to think twice. My sister Rebekah isn't all that pleased after I abandoned her in Mystic Falls, but if it comes to it... she'll gladly kill Damon."

She tensed, and stared at him hatefully. "I hope you rot," she spit.

"Keep speaking like that to me and you'll be the one in a deep grave with worms all over you," he shot back. He pulled up a chair and sat across from her, sitting on it backwards so he could lean his arms on the back of the chair and rest his head over them. "When I heard that you and Damon Salvatore were an item... I was quite shocked. How did that happen?"

She refused to answer, not wanting to return to that subject. It didn't matter to him— clearly, he already knew. "Living arrangements always seem to bring about... hidden feelings. I know for certain that Elijah felt desire when you lived with him. It was only natural that you moved on to Damon once you resided with him for several months."

"They're both better men than you," she grumbled.

Klaus laughed heartily. "Oh, yes, certainly. That noble brother of mine comes off better to everyone. Damon Salvatore? That's a tricky one. I'd have expected you to fancy Stefan instead. But of course... he was with me. And he and Elena Gilbert are actually an item. I hear she was quite cross to know that you and Damon had slipped under each other's sheets."