―xxii. constants

WHEN PERCY AND ANNABETH FOUND HER, the sun was just beginning to rise over the horizon.

"Naomi!" Annabeth broke into a run as soon as she spotted her, Percy half a second behind.

Skia, who'd curled around Naomi moments after she fell and stayed there the whole night, watched them, standing slowly so they could take up post on either side of the girl, her face still buried between her knees.

The tears had slowed, but they still trickled down her cheeks.

"Have you been out here all night?" Annabeth asked frantically. "It's freezing."

Percy pulled off his jacket, wrapping it around her shoulders. "What are you doing out here?"

Naomi's voice sounded raw to her own ears as she said, "Ethan's gone."

Annabeth's eyes were soft with sympathy. "I heard. But I'm sure he's okay."

Naomi shook her head. "He joined Kronos," she croaked. "He came back to try to get me to come with him."

"He was here?" Percy asked. "Did he hurt you?"

Naomi shook her head again, her throat tightening as her tears picked up again. "He was my friend," she said, her voice a whimper. "And he's gone, and Nico's gone, and Bianca and Zoë are dead, and my dad's been dead the whole time, and I can't—"

She was full-on sobbing again, but she couldn't find the energy to be embarrassed, not in front of the two people she loved most, not after everything she'd lost in such a short period of time.

Arms wrapped around her and pulled her against a chest, and she buried her face against Percy's neck, her body shaking with her cries. She felt a hand on her back, heard murmured whispers of we're here, we've got you, we've got you, we've got you

That only made her cry harder.

She'd always been quick to cry as a kid, but she'd started to get over it since coming to camp. It wasn't like she'd turned off her emotions or anything, but when the world wasn't as dark as it used to seem, it was harder to cry over the little things.

It was kind of ironic, that a world full of monsters and temperamental gods was better in Naomi's eyes than the world of nuns and private schools.

She didn't know how long she cried for before her tears finally dried up. The sun was past the horizon now, lighting the world in gentle hues of yellow. She was sure some of the campers were already out and about.

Her face was hot with embarrassment as she pulled away from Percy, unable to look him or Annabeth in the eye. "Sorry," she mumbled.

"You don't have to apologize," Annabeth said softly. "You've been through a lot."

Naomi sniffled. "I have to go tell Drew. And Chiron—"

"Don't worry about that," Percy told her. "We'll tell Chiron."

"Thanks," Naomi whispered.

Annabeth helped Naomi to her feet. Skia was gone, but Naomi knew she'd come back when called.

For now, though, Naomi had to talk to Drew.

Drew was silent for a good five minutes after Naomi told her. Her expression was blank, but Naomi could see the conflicting emotions swimming in her eyes—disbelief, confusion, anger, heartbreak.

Silena sat on the porch step above the two girls, her expression solemn as she bore witness to Naomi and Drew realizing they'd lost their closest friend. She'd sent Lacy to the arts and crafts building to join the Apollo kids when she'd noticed Naomi's crestfallen expression. Lacy would find out eventually, when the rest of the camp did, but for now, Naomi could only bear to tell Silena and Drew.

When Drew finally spoke, her voice was stone. "I'll kill him."

"Drew," Silena said, her voice soft.

"I mean it," Drew said. "If I ever see him again, I'll kill him. He's a traitor."

Naomi felt like there was a rock stuck in her throat, and she wasn't sure it would ever go down.

"How could he do this?" Drew asked. "How could he just turn his back on us? For his mom? He met her once, and she took his fucking eye! How could he choose her over the people who actually care about him?" Her eyes glistened with tears, but Naomi knew she wouldn't let them fall, not now—not until she was sure she was alone, where no one could witness her sorrow.

"Maybe he thinks he's doing the right thing," Silena suggested gently.

"The 'right thing' is abandoning his friends?" Drew seethed. "That's bullshit! If that's the 'right thing' then fuck doing the right thing."

"Drew—" Silena started to say, but Drew wouldn't hear anything more. She stood up, storming into Cabin Ten and slamming the door so hard the cabin shook.

Silena looked at Naomi, and whatever she saw in her face made her shoulders sag with grief. She held out her arms. "Come here."

Naomi was fairly sure she was out of tears for now, but she went into Silena's arms, letting the older girl wrap her in a warm embrace. She knew Silena couldn't protect her from the world, no matter how hard she might try, but at the moment, Naomi let herself believe that Silena's arms were a shield, keeping tragedy at bay, even if it was only for a moment.

Silena ran a hand over Naomi's hair. "It's going to be okay," she whispered. "Everything's going to be okay."

Naomi wasn't sure if she believed them, or even if Silena did, but the words were still nice to hear.

When she walked into her cabin, her bunk was occupied by two duffel bags and a Percy.

Naomi frowned, confused. "I thought you were going home."

"I am," he said. "And you're coming with me."

Naomi raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"I already cleared it with Chiron, and Miranda packed your bag," Percy told her. "Plus my mom already hung your stocking up, so if I don't bring you home, she'll be extremely disappointed."

He stood up, holding his hand out. "You're not spending Christmas alone," he said. "Not after this past week. Not if I can help it."

Naomi looked at his hand, some of the darkness in her mind ebbing.

After everything she'd lost recently, at least there were some constants.

She put her hand in his, and let him take her home for Christmas.

❊