𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

"Be on guard for titans hiding in the shadows!" Erwin yelled out to all of us as we got closer and closer to the gates of Wall Maria. My heart beat quickly at the similar sight. The many houses that were left unkempt for so long were filled with vines and patches of grass all along the roads.

"Our operation begins now! All troops, switch to ODM gear!"

At Erwin's command, everyone, myself included, stood atop our horses and launched off into the air, our green Scouts hood covering our faces.

My feet land atop the wall and I look down at the Shiganshina District, immediately finding where my houses still resided by the outer gate. The screams of my family resurfaced in my head, echoing in my mind, along with the grotesque images of their deaths. I paused for a second with Eren right next to me, but I compose myself quickly. I grab onto his hand and tug him after me.

"Let's go," I say behind me as Levi runs by us. We didn't have any time to waste by just staring at our old home.

Eren's hand still in my, we race across the walls and after Hanji and her squad. Our feet echoed along the surface as we got closer and closer to the outer gate entrance. We all stop as a unit and a couple of Scouts shoot down the walls to give us the all-clear. I close my eyes and listen too, searching for any of the familiar titan screams that I so dearly loved.

I pick up my head and open my eyes to see a waiting Levi and Hanji. I shake my head once. This is all that Hanji needs before she shoots a green flare into the sky.

I squeezed Eren's hand once that was still interlocked with mine. He returns the squeeze and then we release each other. With a determined gaze, Eren jumps off the wall and transforms, making his titan-form harden as it did in the cavern weeks ago.

Before Levi gives me the go-to to get Eren I jump off the wall and land smoothly by Eren's nape. His body laid half spread out of his crystalized titan-form, red marks appearing under his eyes. With a soft grunt, I heaved the rest of his body out of the titan and shot us up the wall with him in my arms.

"Good job, babe," I say with a proud smile while going up the walls.

"Thanks, babe," Eren replies while trying to bring his mood up with a tense smile. I let out a chuckle as we land on the walls, Mikasa and Hanji immediately come over to us.

"Eren!"

"How's your ODM gear?"

I release Eren and let him stand on his own two feet, but steady him when he wavers in his step.

"It's fine, but I did lose my cloak." Looking down I realize he doesn't have his cape on him anymore, but before I can place mine over him Mikasa beats me to it. A twinge of jealousy shoots through me but I bat it away like a harmless fly. It would be just outright stupid to get annoyed at things like that.

"Thanks," Eren mumbles while securing the cape around his shoulders, facing Mikasa with an appreciative look, but then he turns to me. He outstretched his arms and takes my hand in his, brushing his thumb over the back of it, giving me a knowing smile in the process. I roll my eyes at him and flip him off playfully, knowing he saw me get jealous there for a second.

He chuckles, but he's soon to quiet down when Hanji orders us to head to the interior gate. 

We sling across the sides of the walls, but we all halt to a stop when a red flare shoots into the air.

Halt-mission.

Hanji turns to all of us. "All troops, scatter and stand atop the wall!"

"Roger!" We all obey her order and shoot up to the walls, spreading out all along with it.