▲ Intermittent Explosive Disorder ▲

Intermittent explosive disorder (IED) falls in the category of impulse-control disorders.

》The condition is characterized by a failure to resist aggressive impulses, resulting in serious assaults, property destruction, or frequent verbal in the form of temper tantrums or tirades.

》Examples of this behavior include threatening to or actually hurting another person and purposefully breaking or damaging an object of value.

》intermittent explosive disorder (IED) affects as many as 7.3 percent of adults — 11.5-16 million Americans — in their lifetimes.

Of those diagnosed with IED, 67.8% engaged in direct interpersonal aggression,

20.9% had threatened interpersonal aggression,

and 11.4% engaged in aggression against property and objects.

Behavioral symptoms:

Breaking things and causing property damage

Verbal and physical aggression

Road rage

Frequent fighting

Increased energy during an aggressive outburst

Acts of self-harm

Suicide attempts

Physical symptoms:

Tension or pressure in the head or chest that builds before an episode

Fatigue after episode

Tingling

Tremors

Hearing an echo Palpitations

Cognitive symptoms:

Racing thoughts

Inability to concentrate

Poor scholastic or occupational functioning

Psychosocial symptoms:

Low tolerance for frustration

Mood changes before an outburst

Intense anger

Irritability during and between outbursts

Blinding rage

Feeling "out of control" before and during an episode

Depressed mood

Guilt following episodeS

hame following an episode

Explosive episodes may be associated with affective symptoms, such as irritability or rage, increased energy, racing thoughts during the aggressive impulses and acts, and the rapid onset of mood and fatigue after the acts.

》Some individuals may also report that their aggressive episodes are often preceded or accompanied by symptoms such as tingling, tremors, palpitations, chest tightness, head pressure, or hearing an echo.

Typically beginning in the early teens, the disorder often precedes — and may predispose for — later depression, anxiety, and substance abuse disorders.

To be diagnosed with IED, an individual must have displayed verbal or physical toward property, animals, or other people approximately twice weekly for a period of three months.

》This type of aggression does not necessarily have to result in damage to property or injury to animals or other people. A person can also be diagnosed with IED who has three aggressive outbursts that result in damage to property or physical assault that involves injury within a 12-month period. In general, such outbursts are brief and impulsive, not premeditated.

》Evidence suggests that IED might predispose toward depression, anxiety, alcohol, and drug abuse disorders by increasing stressful life experiences, such as financial difficulties and divorce.

》Intermittent explosive disorder appears to result from a combination of biological and environmental factors. Most people with the disorder grew up in families where explosive behavior and verbal and physical abuse were common.

Being exposed to such violence at an early age makes it more likely for children to develop the same traits as they mature. There may also be a genetic component through which the susceptibility to the disorder is passed from to children.

Risk factors:

Being male
History of head and brain trauma
Seizures
Being between the teen years and the 20s
History of childhood physical abuse
History of childhood trauma
History of alcohol or drug abuse

》Long-term effects of untreated intermittent explosive disorder include:

Academic impairment
School suspension
Dropping out of school
Poor social skills
Injuries
Incarceration
Substance abuse and addiction
Alcohol abuse
Domestic violence
Child abuse
Self-harm
Suicidal ideations

》Treatment typically involves medication and psychotherapy.  in fact, studies show that a combination of both approaches offers the best prognosis. Group counseling and anger management programs can also be helpful. Relaxation techniques have been found to be useful in neutralizing anger.