Chapter Forty-Four

Over the last week everything had calmed down. Not much had been happeneing when it came to Katerine. In fact she had fallen completely off the radar, leaving Caroline alone to herself. Caroline had continued to stay at the Salvatores house for three days and had insisted that I stayed with her. She didn't really like Damon -understandable- and she didn't feel it was appropriate to spend her time with Stefan. I had told her that it was silly but he was thinking about what Elena would feel. So I had stayed with her. Stefan pretty much left us alone, checking in on us every now and then, but it was Damon we had a problem with. He just couldn't seem to understand when he wasn't wanted. He was constantly walking into the room we were staying in, pretending to look for something that convienatly he just couldn't find. And whenever we left the room he was always there. Although I managed to use that to my advantage several time to raid his bourbon. He was smart about it through. Depending on his mood and how annoying Caroline and I had been he's give it to us for nothing -Although I suspect he waiting to bring it up again and demand something from me- and other times he'd say we could only have it if he could join. Caroline must have been desperate because she immediatly took him up on that...And we actually managed to have fun. When drunk that got along surprisingly well.

I hadn't even seen Mason around that often. Only on the odd times in the Grill, but I made it my misson to avoid him at all costs after what happened at the BBQ.
I actually had to face Jenna about what happened and  had never been so embarrassed in my entire life. I actually felt disgusted with myself when I thought through it. Mason is the same age as my aunt Jenna -My guardian, and I was romantically involved with him. I can't quite pin-point why exactly I had gotten with him in the first place. Was there even a reason? Apart from my mourning.
And Aunt Jenna wasn't able to look me in the eyes for days. Everytime I entered a room she made some hasty excuse to leave. And i'm sure that would have continued on if I hadn't have cornered her one day. We managed to talk it all out and finally ended up how we were before. Although I can still feel the awkwardness hanging over us sometimes.
Elena and I haven't really made up completely. I was still pretty pissed at her for keeping Isobel a secret from me. She keeps trying to apologize and i appreciate her efforts but I just can seem to bring myself to forgive her. I'm politer than I had been previously but we don't spend time together anymore. In fact because of that Jeremy and I have been getting along pretty well. I mean, we always had ezpecially with him prefering me to Elena. I think that was because I was more laid back and didn't question him about everything. lime his previous drug use -which i've actually only just noticed has stopped. I had been too wrapped up in the supernatural world that I hadn't been paying that much attention to Jeremy.
I feel bad about that so I had spent the entire day yesterday chilling with him. It was nice to actually spent a day being normal untill he decided to just blurt out that he knew about all that stuff.
That feuled my anger towards Elena more. How could she not have told me?
But Jeremy had assured me that it was his decision not to tell me. He didn't want me to treat him any different because apparently Elena's been babying him more and more since she found out.
I didn't blame him to be honest. I would probably done the same thing. She can be rather smothering sometimes, if not all the time.

Hollee had been extremely busy over the last week-or-so moving. She found a nice house that had caught her attention and being owned by the town, Carol was able to set her up easily. I think she felt that she was being a burden to Carol and Tyler, turing up unannouced, expecially just after they had lost Tyler's dad. Knowing Carol she had no problem with it, especially with Hollee being family and all, but Hollee always has been independant, doing what makes her happy.
So i've been over serveral times helping her unpack and decorate. I've always been kind off lazy when it came to things like that so I was always getting told off for sitting down and just talking.

"Lillie! The walls aren't going to paint themselves." Hollee finally exclaimed, her own paintbrush being held limply in her hand as she turned to face me, lying upside-down  on her new sofa.
"That's why you're painting them." I replied easily.
"I could use some help."
I twisted my head to look at her and lifted an eyebrow. "You seriously want my help to paint? I'm messy, I wouldn't want to ruin the floor."
Hollee gestured over to where I had been standing previously. My discarded painbrush sticking out of the pot ot paint, a single strip down the wall, and a whole third of the floor surrounding it was coverd in newspaper. "That's way I've put that down."
My eyes glanced at the bare floor she was standing on. "Why don't you have any?"
Her lips twitched. "Because I don't paint like a bloody child."
"I've never been very artistic. You know that."
Hollee turned to the wall again and continued painting. "But you like getting messy."

I think we had at least ten conversation that sounded similar to this in an hour. The last time Hollee pretty much just gave up and left me to it. That's why I was left with nothing to do today, everyone had something planned and Hollee just flat out said if i'm not going to help don't come around. I could understand that. I'm just a distraction and it would take her even longer to finally get the house finished if I was there.
So here I am sat in the grill alone...Like a loner, just picking at a plate of chips Matt had brought me.
Normally the grill was busy but it seemed that everyone had something planned but me because it was near empty. Only a few fellow students playing a game of pool and a few other people sat at a few tables.
"I've been looking everywhere for you." Someone said as they slid into the booth, in front of me.  I looked up.
"What are you doing here, Elena?" I asked.
"Looking for you."
Something wasn't right. I watched Elena careful. "You've done something new with your hair. Why?" Her usually pin-straight hair was curled.
Something glinted in her eyes. "Just trying something new." She replied.
I reached for a chip. "Really?" I popped the chip into my mouth.
Her eyes narrowed. "Really. You don't sound like you believe me."
I swallowed the chip. "Because I don't."
She reached over and pulled my plate towards her. "Why?"
"Because I've tried to curl your hair before and you literally ran for you life."
She shrugged. "Maybe I just don't trust you."
I smirked. "Everyone trusts me."
Elena had a chip half way to her lips because she paused and cocked her head to the side. "But should they?"
My smirk fell and my brows furrowed. "Excuse me?"
She put the chip back and leant forward against the table. This time she was smirking. "Do you really think that it's a good idea for them to trust you. With everything that you're hiding?"
My jaw clenched together and i narrowed my eyes. "Who are you?"
"I'm sure you already know that answer."
"Katherine." I stated.
Kathering grinned. "So you do know."
"We'll it wasn't that hard to figure out. Who else look more like Elena's twin than her actual one does."
"I keep forgetting that you're her twin." She said, eating a chip. "Who's older?"
I watched her carefully. "Does it matter."
"Not really just curious."She answered. Although there was something with the way she asked that made me doubt her and maybe the fact she's evil and untrustable.
"She is." I said quietly.
"Thought so."
I placed my elbows on the table and looked at her. "What are you doing here, Katherine?"
She brushed her curls away from the side of her face. "I never got to formally introduce myself last time we met. I thought it was about time."
"Last time we met?" I questioned. "I've never met you before."
She laughed. "Of course you have. At Richard Lockwoods funeral," She paused as if thinking. "Although I was pretending to be Elena, you probably didn't realise the difference. How sad is that? You obviously don't know your sister as well as you thought, otherwise you would have known the difference." Her lips stretched wide. "But don't worry Damon didn't notice either."
The it clicked. "It was you that kissed him, not Elena."
Katherine's face turned sour. "It didn't go how I planned." She admitted.
"He still too in love with you?" I sneered.
Katherine's eyes glard dangerously. "The opposite in fact.  He's not in love with me at all."
I couldn't help the chuckle that slipped out. "Wow, that must have been a game changer, I think I feel a little bit sorry for you."
"I don't need you pity!" She hissed, her eyes turning red and the veins under her eyes wiggled as se struggled to stay in control.
I sat back and crossed my arms over my chest. "Good because you don't have it, i changed my mind."
I let my eyes narrow into slits. "Listen here, Katherine, I don't know why you're here and frankly I don't give a shit, but touch anyone I care about and I won't hesitate to kill you. And I mean anyone."
Katherine's face morphed back to normal and she did the opposit of what I expected. She smiled. "There it is."
"There's what?" I asked irritably.
"The Petrova fire. I knew you used have it but I assumed that maybe your change made you boring."
"Change? What the hell are you talking about? Have you just come here to confuse me? Because mission accomplished."
Katherin pushed the plate of chips back over to my side and slid back out of the booth. "That's a conversation for another time, Lillie."
And she started walking towards the entrance before pausing just shy of the door. She turned back to me. "Out of curiousity, is Damon one of the ones you care for?"
I didn't even need to think about that. "Yes."
She tilted her head towards me. "Becareful then. He might not be so forgiving."

"Damon!" I shouted as I slammed the door of the Salvatore boarding house behind me. "I know you're here, you have no friends, now come down and see me!" I wondered into the parla and made a bee-line to his bourbon stash.
I poured myself a glass and just as I raised it to my lips it was snatched away from me. I spun on my heels to face Damon. A smirk on his lips and he quickly downed the glass.
"Hey!" I whined. "I needed that after my encounter with your psychotic ex-girlfriend."
His smirk fell. "You bumped into Katherine?"
"Not really bumped into, more like she had been seeking me out." I informed.
"Why?"
I looked at him. "How the hell should I know?"
"Well what did she say?" He snapped.
I grabbed my glass from his hand and poured myself another bourbon. This time quickly moving over to the sofa out  of Damon's reach. "Nothing that really made much sense. I think her age has caught up to her. " I tipped the cup back and downed the liquid.  "How old is she anyway?"
"Old." Was all he said. He poured himself a bourbon and I held my glass out.
He glanced at me over his shoulder and his smirk found it's way back. He lifted his glass to lips slowly before tossing back the drink, completely ignoring my want for another.
I stuck my bottom lip out and widened my eyes, shaking my glass from side-to-side. Damon rolled his eyes, grabbed a bourbon bottle by the neck and flashed over to sit beside me on the sofa and passed me the bottle.
I flashed his a smile.
"Katherine actually did say something that caught my attention today." I said.
Damon groaned and fell backwards heavily. One of his arms lying over his eyes. "Can we not talk about her right now?"
I shrugged. "I suppose not. I'll just have to bring it up again another day."
"Fine, but right now i've fine with just drinking." Damon said, taking a swig from the bottle.
I snatched the bottle from his hands and grinned. "I'm up for that."

"I-i was angry at you before, at Richards funeral." I slurred drunkenly, a near empty bottle of bourbon in my hands. Damon was slightly more sober than I was -not by much thought.
"Why?"
"Because I -er-over heard you and Elena arguing on the porch. I mean, I though nothing of it until you mentioned the kiss you two shared." I frowned at the memory. I was sprawled across the sofa, Damon sat on the floor in front of me leaning against it. "I was hurt at that and i couldn't seem to understand why. I mean, I didn't really have the right. I left you alone when you needed me. You kissed me and I literally fled the country to hide from you." My heart was beating rapidly in my chest as the words fell from my lips. I couldn't seem to have control over what was being said and Damon was stopping me either. He stayed silent, listening patiently. "But when I was away and I spoke to you on the phone that one time. I realised that it wasn't you that I was running from, Damon."
I pushed my self off of the sofa so I was standing and as I did Damon did too.
He moved so he was stood infront of me. "What were you running from then, Lillie?"
"My feelings." I replied quietly.
Something in Damon's eyes shone and through my drunken haze my stomach erupted with butterflies. I decided to take a shot in the dark here and slowly stood upon my tip-toes, leaning in close to Damon. His blue eyes watched intently but didn't move away. And before I could chicken out of it. I moved the rest of the way and pressed my lips to Damons.
It was light and slow to begin with, it was a tentive kiss. Testing how he would deal with it and when glass shattered around our feet and Damon's arms wrapped round my waist, pulling me into the kiss, I relaxed.
My arms were around his shoulders, fingers tangled in his hair, pulling and tugging. His around my waist, holding my body as close to his as was humanly possible.
The kiss was deepened as his tongue brushed my bottom lip demandingly and I didn't hesitate to open up.
The room grew hotter and hotter as the passion between us blossomed.
Our hands were roaming the other freely touching anywhere we could and then all of a sudden I found myself lying on the sofa with Damon hovering over me. His lips leaving kisses from my lips and down my neck, stopping to suck gently on certain places.
Moans escaped as I revelled in the feel of Damon.
My hand moved to grasp his face again and pull him in for another kisss as my hands wondered to the collar of his shirt, instantly working on the buttons.
"Damon? Lillie?" A shocked voice sounded from the doorway.