16: Jo Knows

The next day, Jo and I ate breakfast in an eerie silence. I wondered why she wasn't talking to me.

"So, Rose," she began in a strangely casual tone. "Which boy was in your room last night?"

I choked on my cereal and slowly glanced up at her.

With a nervous chuckle, I tucked my curly hair behind my ear. "Uh, what?"

"Don't play dumb," she gave me a deadpan look. "I heard you talking to a boy."

I reluctantly gave in with a sigh. "I'm sorry. I thought you were asleep."

Jo gave me a disappointed look. "Why would you sneak a boy into the house?"

I couldn't exactly tell her I was treating to Antonio's fight wounds. She'd think he was some sort of hoodlum.

"Who was it?" Jo persisted.

I avoided eye contact and she began to ramble.

"I knew it. I knew it."

I gave her a strange look. "What are you on about?"

"I mean, I'm fine with you hanging out, going to parties. But you've been coming home late, sneaking boys into the house–I'll bet it was that kid with the motorcycle! It was, wasn't it?" She said.

I looked around and slowly chewed my food.

"I knew it!" Jo exclaimed for the millionth time, shaking her head. "This town is no good."

I frowned and dropped my spoon. "What do you mean? I thought you liked it here."

Again, Jo shook her head. "We should move."

The statement slightly angered me. "What? No. We're not doing this again."

Jo was bewildered at my tone. "I–"

"We've been living here for less than a month. You get ready to leave the second things start looking up. Why?" I demanded.

Jo gave me a look. "I'm not appreciating your tone, missy."

"Sorry, but it's true," I crossed my arms. "Admit it, you have commitment issues. You can't commit to one place!"

"Rose!" she indignantly refused. "I do not."

I suppose I'd been waiting for this to happen. I knew Jo was going to make me leave this town soon enough. It was part of the reason I still hadn't unpacked my boxes, like Antonio had pointed out last night.

I gave Jo a look of dismay and she rebutted.

"I'm only trying to do what's best for you. Like your father would've wanted!"

A cold feeling resided over me and I stood up. "How would you know what he wanted?"

"He's my brother, I think I'd know," she scoffed.

"Well he's my father, I'd know too," I snapped back.

"How could you possibly know what he wanted? You've never even met him."