VI

With a glance to the clock, I walked out the front door to my new dwelling and headed across the street for the mass. Up in front of me, I saw people strolling into the mass via the two doors on either side of the structure. I slipped in through the door on my side of the road. The mass was built with natural lighting in mind, the levels forming rings around the building, leaving sunlight shining unhindered through the circle in the middle all the way to the ground floor. Alas, it was the moon that hung high on the tapestry above us, so the lights were lit instead.

The building retained its colour scheme on the inside. The walls were all a lovely brown while the ceiling was coated in a much lighter grey. The ground floor was the mass, with food served buffet style. The kitchen opened from the front, where food was served. Joining the line waiting for their turn, I cautiously left a few armlengths between me and the person before me, feeling slightly uncomfortable amidst such a large crowd. Taking a slab of roast meat – deer, from the smell of it – and a scoop of mashed potato, dosing both in gravy – it had been a long time since I had them – and I moved to find a seat.

Spotting Olyvia's flaming hair amidst the crowds, I headed her way. She was sitting with Emelia and a few others at a table at the back, Olyvia was picking at a bowl of greens, seemingly the only thing she'll be eating tonight. It had been a long time since I had just greens for a meal. The virus coursing through my system had altered me into a carnivore. I could still eat veggies, but I couldn't go without meat anymore.

'Mind if I join you?' I asked once I stepped close enough to the Olyvia.

'Sure! Come on, sit down.' The redhead beamed at me, elbowing the guy next to her 'Move you giant oaf, make space for the lady.'

Wincing, the guy scooted over, scowling at the woman. 'Ow, you know you could just asked me, right?'

'I did ask you.' Smiling innocently at the guy, Olyvia patted the bench. 'Come on, sit down.'

Obliging her, I settled onto the bench, setting down my plate. 'Sadie, that oaf right there is Nico, he's the grumpy twat who always complain;' Olyvia gestured to the guy she elbowed, he scowled at the introduction.

'I didn't-' He objected

'You do, you complain about me all the time.'

'Because you are always inflicting bodily harm on me!'

'Nuh uh, I don't.' Olyvia looked at me, 'Don't mind him, he will find something to complain about me, even my existence.' She told me. 'Don't know why he stick around, but he did. Anyways, this is Amber, though we call her Scalp. She's the Chief Surgeon in the hospital.' Amber was rather short; her brown eyes seem to be on the verge of sparkling. She nodded at me in acknowledgement.

'Honestly, the title of Chief Surgeon is just empty words. It's not like anyone needed surgery much. Sadie, it's wonderful to meet you.'

'This is Elias, he plays with plants.' Olyvia pointed at the last stranger at the table. The bronze skinned guy glowered at her.

'I don't play with plants, I grow them.' He poked her shoulders, 'Does no one taught you when you're young to not mouth off the guy who feeds you?'

'Aw, I feel so loved.' Olyvia shot back and turned to me. 'And this is Ellie.' She waved her hand at the brunette.

'Yes yes, we have met.' Ellie drawled. 'Now, eat your dinner, you red headed heathen.'

At that, Olyvia quieted down and started eating her salad. 'No matter how many times I've seen it, it still amazes me that you could order her around like that.' Scalp commented.

'Trade secret.'

As they bicker on, I sat back and quietly watched. Even before the outbreak, I preferred to people watch, years of isolation had only intensified this trait. Slowly consuming the meat, I watched on.