Chapter 33

Long chapter!

I lean against the wall with my hands in my hair. Is this a curse or a miracle? It depends on how Michael will react at the news. I'm pregnant of his baby because I forgot to take my pill. Will he be mad at me? We never talked about children before, so I don't even know if he even wants children. Maybe he wants me all to himself, especially now we're just back together.

Stop analyzing everything, my inner voice says to calm my nerves. I'm overreacting when I still don't even know the outcome. Michael doesn't know, and I'm already thinking the worst kind of scenario in my mind. Breaking away from my slumbering negative thoughts, I convince myself to shower before tossing away the evidence. A hot shower will calm my nerves.

When I finished the hot shower, I decided. I'm going to tell him I'm pregnant first thing I see him. Wriggling myself in my comfy track suit, I felt better after that nice shower. My mind is cleared and I'm just going to go downstairs with a clear, positive mind. If he isn't happy, so be it. We will deal with it later.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps closing in. Michael yanks the bathroom door open without knocking, his face serious. "Sofia, are you ready?" He asks. I open my mouth to answer, but he cuts me off. "There is something wrong with Felicity. A nurse from the institution called. She's sick and the doctors don't know what's wrong with her." He exclaims in a rush.

"Michael, I'm sorry to hear that. What can I do?" I ask him. "I need to leave Tuscany right away. It's best for you to join me, so I can keep an eye on you too." He says before leaving me in the bathroom. I frown and rush behind him. "Of course, I'm coming with you." I say before opening my luggage and tossing everything I carried with me inside of it.

"Thanks, Sofia. I'm sorry. My life is a mess, and I just put you through all that shit too." Michael sighs while working on his clothes in his expensive luggage. I stop organizing my clothing and walk towards him. "Michael, I've chosen to live my life with you, so it's only normal to carry your burden as well. Isn't that what couples do?" I ask softly, brushing my thumb over his chest in a soothing way.

"Probably, but it's been such a rollercoaster for you these past few weeks. When I stepped into your life, I've made everything more complicated for you." He says with hurt visible in his eyes. "Michael, look at me." I snap at him, so he would retrieve his attention back to my face. "I'm dead serious, Michael. I'm happy to walk the same path as you. My life before you wasn't perfect at all. I cannot compare the love you give me to the life I had. I wouldn't change a thing about you or your life, except for your freedom and happiness. And you'll win a lot at the end, I promise." I say sweetly, referring to the little intruder that hopefully will give us joy and happiness.

But this isn't the right moment to tell him. His sister is more important now. Michael nods and gives me a gentle kiss on the lips. "You are incredible." Michael smiles at me before turning his attention back to the closet. In silence I load in my luggage, in the back of my mind praying his sister will get better. If something happens to her, I don't think Michael will survive.

With a jet, we flew back to Oregon where his sister was laying. They have transported her to the same hospital as where my mother works as a nurse. Arriving at the hospital, Michael jogged inside and snapped at the woman behind the desk who couldn't give him more information. He's scared and I can't blame him. When my mom was sick, the fear of losing her was so big I couldn't live normally. She was always in the back of my mind.

"She's in the ICU momentarily, but they are running some tests," Mom says behind me, and I turn on my heel to come face to face with my mother. "Mom!" I exclaim loudly, embracing her. "Dear, I recognized Michael's voice. Is she a friend of you, Michael?" She asks him. Mom already changed in her regular clothes. She must have worked her shift and was just planning to leave.