Chapter Thirteen

Friday's are supposed to be fun and buzzing with energy. I feel anything but energetic this morning. I managed to forget to turn on my alarm last night, so I've woken up extremely late for class. By the time I get to campus, my computer class is already in session. After giving my teacher my late pass, and ignoring her evil eye, I hurriedly sit down.

Second period is mostly boring until I'm suddenly called out of class. Mrs. Thomas has sent for me, Sophie, and Seth. Because I'm sure how long I'm going to be out for, my teacher gives me the textbook to finish my work. Of course, it has to be a giant textbook that isn't the easiest to carry around. If I put it in my backpack, it will be too heavy to carry, but if I carry it on my arm it will be in the way. I choose the latter.

And what does Mrs. Thomas want? Our newspapers finally came in, and she wants me, Seth, and Sophie to distribute them to the teacher's mailboxes before putting some in the office and around the school.

I don't know why she doesn't want to wait until we get to fourth period to do all the distributing, but Seth, Sophie, and I finish putting them in the mailboxes when the bell rings for lunch.

"Should we take the rest back to the class?" Sophie asks me.

The twins have a bundle each and I have two. I figure it will be best if we just get rid of them as quick as we can. "Might as well finish setting them out. Sophie, you can take yours to the office and Seth you can take yours to the cafeteria."

I think about putting my book in my bag, but maybe I can avoid doing that. I'll find a spot for the papers soon enough.

Seth sees me juggling my book and the two bundles and he holds out his hand. "I'll take that second one from you."

I shake my head. "I'm good, really. I'll get rid of them quickly."

He doesn't look convinced, but they say their goodbyes and take off. I start down the hallway and try my best not to run into people or hit them with the newspapers. I don't know where I want to put them exactly. My plan is to find a spot where they won't be in the way, but will still catch the students attention.

I round the corner and having the bundles stacked on my book, one of them falls and busts open, scattering on the ground.

"Great," I say to no one in particular. I drop to the floor and set my things down to start picking up the papers.

"Should I ignorantly walk past you, or should I stop to help?" Dylan's voice says.

My heart flutters at the sound of his voice and my mind immediately goes to our kiss.

"I got it," I says as I finish putting the stack together, purposely avoiding his eyes. I grab the stack, the other bundle, and my backpack and textbook and try to stand up.

He goes to grab my textbook from me. "You clearly need help," he says, taking that and my backpack from me.

"In many ways, but that helps, yes," I say, half-heartedly joking, finally looking at him.

He chuckles and gestures to the newspapers. "Is that your finished product?"

I nod. "I just have to find spots for these so students can glance over them and then proceed to weaponize them as spitballs."

"You mean, you're actually supposed to read these things?" he smirks, teasing me. "You seem like you've got the Monday blues again, but it's Friday, so I'm a bit confused."

I thought he would've avoided me because of the kiss, but here he is striking up a conversation and easily carrying my things for me. It's a pleasant surprise. "Just ready for the weekend to get here," I say instead of bringing up what happened. "Follow me? I need to get these off my hands."