Chapter 23: Season 2, Chapter 1

Disclaimer.

I don't own High School DxD, or any of the other copy right stuff that may be included in this story.

I don't make any money off of it and only write this for my own enjoyment.

If criticism of religion bothers you, please don't read this story. Also, why are you reading DxD, a story which makes heroes out of devils, if criticism of religion bothers you?

"I don't believe it."

"Of course you don't." Sona thought to herself, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

After arriving in the human world, the couple had made their way to Ambrose's home without too much trouble.

"Though Rias certainly made an attempt to suck up before we parted her company." She thought, privately recalling her friend's fawning behavior.

The pair then left the company of both peerages before they headed for Ambrose's home in order to have their private discussion. While Sona was hesitant to actually begin the conversation, she could tell he was quite eager to hear everything she had to say. Just as she predicted, the conversation had not been easy on either of them. Ambrose appeared to be quite agitated after she informed him of all that she had learned. As she explained his possible origins, he started pacing back so much that she thought he might wear down the floor, and now that she had finished her tale he seemed to be on the defensive. However, unlike her previous attempts to discuss this sensitive topic with her fiance, she was armed with evidence and she was determined to confront him with it.

"You said that you would consider the possibility that you might be a devil if there were a way to explain how one could wield holy power." Sona reminded her fiance. "Maō Lucifer explained the whole thing. Since the Biblical God is dead, Heaven's System has been breaking down and creating anomalies. This allowed a devil, namely you, to be implanted with the [Master Key], hence how you have holy power."

"Non." Ambrose denied, shaking his head. "Maō Lucifer can't know that for certain. He is wrong about my [Sacred Gear], he could be wrong about how I got this power. He could be wrong about a lot of things. He isn't providing answers, he just has theories and conjectures. There must be dozens of holy [Sacred Gears], so why the [Master Key]? Why the soul of the Biblical God? How did this Valper know how to find it, and why would someone choose to put the [Master Key] in a devil?"

"I don't know Am-chan, I don't have all the answers! None of us do!" Sona emphatically stated, feeling a bit annoyed with his stubbornness. She took a moment to calm down before continuing. "Maō Lucifer never specifically mentioned the death of the Biblical God, it's quite possible he was hiding other secrets too. But you can't deny the fact that he has a very promising theory; in addition, he also has evidence to back up some of his claims. Your fingerprints are a perfect match to his son's, and the half of your DNA that wasn't altered by the Biblical God matches Millicas's as well. If you don't believe me, then test it on your own unaltered sample for yourself."

Ambrose clenched his eyes shut and cursed in French. "Merde [Shit], I should never have let my guard down around that woman!"

"Am-chan, she's not some woman who plans to use you for nefarious purposes, she's your mother!" Sona yelled, surprised at his tone. "She only wanted to reunite with her son!"