[ 38 ] payback

PAYBACK

PAYBACK

                "HEY, DID YOU SLOW HIM DOWN?" Stiles asked Allison on the other end of the phone.

"You could say that..."

"All right. Well, uh, we're going headed to the station right now."

"Where's Scott?"

"Isaac's."

"Does he have a plan?"

"Yeah, but not a very good one, and unfortunately, we don't really have time to come up with anything better..."

Stiles hung up the phone, turned to the side to be faced with a very stressed-out Aspen.

The Carter girl was tugging at the brown roots of her hair, where you could see her natural colour slowly trying to make its way back.

"Hey." Stiles said softly, making her turn her head in his direction. "We're gonna save him, he'll be fine."

Stiles didn't even have to ask what was wrong to know it was about the Lahey boy. Aspen and Isaac aren't even friends, but Stiles knew her all too well to know that she worries about innocent people, whether she's close to them or not.

"I hope you're right, cause I don't think I'll ever be able to watch someone die right in front of me."

"Okay. Now, the keys to every cell are in a password-protected lock-box in my father's office. The problem is getting past the front desk." Stiles explained to Derek, who the pair had picked up along the way to the station.

Aspen was now reluctantly sitting in the back seat after one of Derek's cliche threats to rip her throat out.

"I'll distract her." Derek deadpans.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! You? You're not going in there." Stiles objects, putting a hand on Derek's shirt to hold him back, but was soon met with a threatening glare from the Hale werewolf. "...I'm taking my hand off."

"I was exonerated." Derek states.

"You're still a person of interest, idiot." The Carter girl scoffs from the back seat.

"An innocent person."

"You? Innocent? Wow, Dezzie, you should sign up for stand-up comedy if you keep coming out with stuff like that."

"Don't ever call me that again." Derek shoots glares at her use of a nickname. "I mean it, like ever."

"I guess I could always steal Stiles' nickname and call you sour wolf." Aspen said. "Would you prefer that?"

"Carter, I swear to God, if you don't shut the fu-"

"Okay!" Stiles interrupts the two from their spat. "Enough. What's your plan?"