𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 - 𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐌𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄

Cleo.
Ten Years Ago.

"I can't keep going with this on and on again!" I exclaimed to my father as we walked from the jailhouse.

He sighs with his hands in his pockets, "Cleopatra, I'm sorry." I turn to him in tears, "I'm not a little kid anymore! Stop calling me that! You constantly do this to me, you constantly embarrass me! Stop acting like you're sorry yet you keep doing it over and over again!"

I folded my arms in anger before looking away at the night sky.

I was only sixteen years ago, and somehow, I learned how to manage to take care of myself. I had to learn how to cope and ignore my insecurities to survive, and yet, I'm the adult while my drunken alcoholic of a father was the child.

It made sense why my mother left years ago but left me with this timeless burden.

His hand touches my shoulder as I turn around, trying my best to not be emotional.

"I cannot keep doing this with my life," I expressed.

I meant it. I couldn't keep dealing with the constant mood changes, the idea of living in fear because I didn't know which emotion will be triggered due to the heavy alcohol in his system, the idea of finding him drunk outside on a random bench and having the police call for me to pick him up, or the idea of him humiliating me at school drunk per usual.

He looks at me tiredly before asking as we walk home, "Aye, girl, you got a boyfriend yet?"

I scoff, "I'm too self-involved with dealing with you to have one." He chuckles lightly as our footsteps tussled against the concrete.

"Cleo, I want you to get away from here someday. Make something for yourself. Get yourself a nice job, a nice man, have a family. I'm never going to get better," he insisted. I sigh once we reached the porch of our house.

"Maybe, I hope so. C'mon, let me make you some tea."

Michael.
Jacksons' Residence.
28 February 1994.
13:21

"Lisa, baby, stop it. I have to finish these papers," I insisted as she nibbles on my ear as we sat in bed together. I was finishing budget plans for the next surgical year, and from the looks of it, it was looking like I had to cut an attending and a resident to maintain a budget.

Lisa's arms wrapped around my neck before resting her chin against my shoulder from behind, "You seem so upset lately. What is it?" I exhale disappointing, "I have to cut an attending and resident due to the new budget changes, and honestly, can I tell you something?"

Her body released from mine as we both sit criss-cross in the bed. Her eyes looked into mine in concern as I mutter, "I was thinking for a while, and I know we've been butting heads about this decision, but..." Her head tilts curiously as my voice frowns out. "What?" she asks.

"I was thinking about leaving the hospital and starting a private practice. I mean I'm not getting any younger and I mean we talked about having a family and everything, at least I would be making more money and could have set hours to spend more time with you."

Her face was in utter disbelief as I frown at her reaction, "Do you not want me to go?" Eventually, her expression lightens before smiling widely, "No, I just never thought in a MILLION years you would leave. Of course, I do want you to go, but gosh, I know how much you love working there."