thirty-one

Children's laughter wafts from the windows of the center, the breeze gently tousling my hair as I pick at my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Grabbing my cell, I make a quick call in to Grams.

"It's me." I say as soon as she answers. "I'm on break, wanted to check in, see how you're doing, if we need anything from the store."

"You know Dylan," Grams chuckles to herself. "If you want to go to Henson's General Store, you don't need my permission."

I roll my eyes, nearly blinding myself in the afternoon sun, and suck my teeth. "Well there are other stores in town, and I am forbidden from seeing Luke again anyways."

Grams huffs at the reminder of my mother's rule.

Finally, she lets out a deep sigh. "Well I am just fine, I'm watching my programs now." I can hear the tv in the background, the host of a family game show going crazy when someone cashes out an insane prize. "And I don't need anything from the store, but I'm not the one who makes dinner."

"I was going to do a fresh Caesar salad tonight. Will that be good for you?"

I make a quick checklist in my mind of what I'll need, making sure I have everything already.

"Mhm."

"Great. I'll see you when I get home?" I close my eyes, the sun feeling so warm on my eyelids, so nice on my skin.

"Mhm." Grams murmurs again and I know I've lost her interest to her show.

Hanging up, I text Brynn to see if there's anything I should bring by on Friday. We accomplished little this past weekend, more focused on catching up than on the work at hand.

It was surprisingly easy to talk to Brynn: the history was there but it's like we could still talk to each other like regular people, not focusing on the tragedy we share in common.

We laughed about the kids in her swim class, in particular the one who won't stop pooping in the pool, and I gushed about how adorable the kids at the center are, especially Finn, although I didn't mention his connection to Luke.

We complained about our college boyfriends and she seemed to get my situation with Hunter. I almost told her about the cute guy from the bonfire, Ryan... but I didn't.

It seemed too soon, I thought.

"Enjoying the sunshine today, Miss Dylan?"

My eyes snap open, head swiveling towards Luke's voice, my stress level shooting up several notches.

"I was." I mutter, quickly standing to toss my remaining sandwich and empty water into the trash can. "Can I help you with something?" I try for professionalism, staring up at him with what I'm hoping is a polite smile.

Erica might be watching from her office window, for all I know. Leave it to Luke to get me in trouble at work, too.

"Laura forgot a lunch for Finn. I'm just dropping it off." Luke grins, dimples deepening in his cheeks as he peers down at me.

"So bring it to Tabby, she'll put it with Finn's things." I check my phone. Still a few minutes to enjoy the outside air before my break ends.

"I already did." Luke shrugs, inching closer to me.

I take a step back, my patience running thin. "Then why are you bothering me on my lunch break?"

Luke takes another step forward and my back hits the wall of the center, my palms pressed firmly against it as his eyes rest on my lips.