x. vehicles and i just really don't get along

chapter ten

─── vehicles and i just really don't get along

          𝔓acking had never been my strong point. So, trying to pack to meet the Lord of the Dead was horrible. I didn't know what to take.

I settled on an extra change of clothes (the shirt belonging to Brooke, the jeans to Puck and everything else was hand me downs from Eleven), a toothbrush, pads and some deodorant. I'd managed to find a dagger, and a bow (because apparently there was no such thing as a well balanced sword in this stupid camp).

The blond son of Hermes had joined me, walking in silence with a stony glare on his face. He wasn't for this idea at all, but supposedly it had been the best of a bad lot. He had a pair of converses strung around his bag, and a sword strapped to his waist.

So subtle.

Chiron had already given the two of us a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag of ambrosia squares to be used in emergencies.

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, which she told me had been a twelfth-birthday present from her mom. She carried a book on famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve, which was definitely more subtle than Luke's sword.

Grover wore his fake feet and his pants, to pass as a human. His green beanie was back on his head and he had enough tin cans, scrap metal and apples to snack on for the remainder of the trip.

We waved good-bye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him stood the surfer dude I'd seen when I was recovering in the sick room. According to Grover, the guy was the camp's head of security. He supposedly had eyes all over his body so he could never be surprised. Today, though, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so I could only see extra peepers on his hands, face and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron told me. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

I heard footsteps behind us.

Brooke and Puck appeared, both of them grinning and panting.

"Glad we caught you," Brooke gave Brooke a shove, as if to blame him for almost being late. "Came to wish you good luck and Puck thought..."

"We got you some going away gifts." Puck finally stepped forward, holding a pair of shoes out towards us. Luke finally cracked a smile, patting the man's shoulder.