.14. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ʜᴏʟᴍᴇs ғɪɴᴅs ʜɪs ᴡᴀᴛsᴏɴ

LUPIN'S BACK!

The Arts Under Attack

After a decade-long hiatus—which some might describe as early retirement—the infamous French thief has returned to London, his eyes now set on collecting talents instead of jewels. According to the first clues amassed by private investigator Jeon Jungkook, the loss of both clown Hoseok's smile and Kantanto Jin's voice may be his doing, and part of his bigger plan to sabotage London's frantic cultural scene. For what purpose? That remains to be determined. The short poem we were able to get our hands on—and which we are printing below in its entirety—suggests Lupin is after someone's heart. Needless to say, he's going to awfully great lengths to impress this special someone, staying true to his gentleman ways.

Jungkook rubbed in temples, growling as he dropped the paper on his desk. How in the world did that little-known reporter manage to have his story printed on the front page of the Thames Herald?! He guessed it had been for lack of more newsworthy events.

The phone rang.

"Mr. Jeon! This is Chief Rieken. Do you remember me? Let me just say I am very disappointed right now. I'm not sure if it's because I have to rely on the press to find out that you have been working on a Lupin case. Or if it's because you have not deemed it necessary to inform the police and its assigned task force."

Jungkook sighed. This was going to be a long day.

A very cocky Park Jimin greeted the detective in the most nonchalant manner, two feet propped up on his desk. "Well, if it isn't London's most sought-after investigator! To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Mr. Jeon?"

"The information you printed this morning was obtained illegally."

"I didn't break down any doors, nor force any locks."

"You took advantage of Lizbeth who was only being hospitable."

"Lizbeth? Is that the name of your housekeeper? She seems very forgetful. It took her well over thirty minutes to get the tea ready. I suggest you let her go and look for someone else."

"And I suggest you quit the disrespect."

"You're right. I should actually thank her. She gave me all the time I needed to gather plenty of material. Because you see, people don't talk to reporters. For whatever reason. That's why we have sources. Snitches. In the best case scenario, whistle-blowers. Or we can always go dig the dirt ourselves."

"That's invasion of privacy."

"Now that the story is out, I really don't care. You can charge me for it if you want, or—"

"Or what?"

Jimin smirked. "Or we could partner up."

The look on Jungkook's face was that of disbelief. The other, however, seemed convinced his idea was quite clever. "Come on, it could be fun! I could be your Watson since I basically cracked the case for you."

The burst of laughter that ensued had the whole newsroom turn around. "The case?! What case? There are no victims, no filed complaints—"

"There is Lupin."

Jungkook snorted. "Anyone could have written those notes and sent those missives. The name sells. I'm sure that's the only reason why your story became lead news."

"True. People are still fascinated with that myth. To be honest, I don't care if it's the real Lupin or just an impersonator. My job is to sell papers."

"By writing fiction? You should consider becoming a novelist, and quit journalism."

"You know, I went to see you yesterday to get my facts straight. But you weren't there, were you?"

This unexpected reproach turned Jungkook defensive. "I-I was busy."

"Oh that's right! I remember now. You had a very important — what's the word? Date."

Jimin's comeback hit him hard. How did he know? The young reporter's sarcasm and overconfidence were starting to get the best of him, as a creeping unease tensed his muscles up.

"From the looks of it, you're not subscribed to our city's finest tabloid, The Midnight Star. Here, let me get you their latest issue."

As the paper was thrown his way, Jungkook's heart sank. The scandal sheet's lead story featured a snapshot of him and Tae in each other's arms, smiling blissfully, unaware of the intrusive lens zooming in on them. He didn't even glance at the article, not wanting the smears to further spoil this fond memory. Why hadn't he noticed the camera? Was he going blind?

Jimin laughed. "It's not that you're going blind, Jungkook. It's that you now only have eyes for him."

The detective collapsed on a chair, shaking his head in utter shock, not realizing he was voicing his thoughts out loud. That's when Jimin decided it was time to drop the act. Putting his feet down, he bent forward and said in a soothing voice, "Kim Taehyung is the hottest bachelor in the country right now. You must have known people would follow him around."

"By people you mean the likes of you?" Jungkook wanted to bite back, but his words had no venom.

"By people I mean paparazzi. That's not what we print here."

Jimin leaned back on his chair. "I'm not interested in your love life, Jungkook, but I will say this: congratulations! Taehyung is quite the catch. I guess Lupin will just have to get in line."

The other didn't seem to be listening anymore but Jimin kept on rambling. "They say love is blind, but I have to disagree. You two have the best taste in men."

They say love is blind—

Love is blind—

Love—

Is that what it was? Love?

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡