I 38 I

Light streams through my open window, forcing my eyes open. The cold air wafts over to my bed, chilling me with the morning dew. My alarm goes off seconds later, and I groan, smacking it off my bedside table. It hits the floor with a thud, and I swing my legs over the side of my bed.

Adrien's absence confuses me at first, until I remember the akumatization of that pigeon guy again last night. He insisted I go to bed instead of helping-apparently I fell asleep during our movie last night due to sleep deprivatioin.

'Y/n-' Marinette's voice cuts through my thoughts, and I look up to see her standing in my doorway. 'I said your name three times, did you not hear me?' 

'Oh, uh no.' I scratch the back of my head. 'What's up?' 

'Adrien's car is outside, and I want to be at school early. Luka's on his way as well.' 

'Why do we need to be early?' 

Marinette's eyes narrow. 'Because Lila's back-Alya just texted.' 

'Ugh,' I groan. 'I hate that girl.' 

'I know,' Marinette says. 'She's probably going to make a move on Adrien again.' 

I laugh uncontrollably at this statement. 

'What's so funny?' 

'I thought you were with Luka now.' I point out. 

'I am, it's just that I don't want to see one of my best friend manipulated by that scheming bit-' 

'Adrien isn't going to date her,' I roll my eyes. 'She's just a little liar, and eventually other people are going to figure it out.' 

'That doesn't mean he won't fall for her.' Marinette argues. 

'Just trust me.' 

...

Fortunately, we're able to deter Lila for most of the morning until lunchbreak, when- 

'Adrien,' the familiar nails-on-chalkboard, filled sickeningly with honey voice immediately causes me to look up. 'I was wondering if you'd consider helping me with my homework this afternoon. We can study at your house!' 

Adrien shoots me a glance, obviously he hasn't forgotten about our plans for this afternoon. 

'Oh, Lila,' I give her the most innocent look I can possible muster. No one's as good at lying or faking as her, but with the right motivation- 'I can help you with your homework if you want. You know, because of your short term memory loss due to traveling?' 

Lila laughs lightly, the sound causing me to tense. 'Oh no, I couldn't possibly accept your help, you see, I'm not allowed to interact with the property of superheroes. It could put me in danger.' 

My mouth drops open. The property of superheroes? Who does this bitch think she is? 

'Excuse me?' Adrien's eyes grow dark as he glares at Lila. 'What do you mean by that?' 

'Yeah Lila, Y/n isn't anyone's property,' Marinette agrees. 

Lila isn't deterred. 'You misunderstood me....I only meant, being with her could compromise my reputation in my family. They believe in, how do I put this 'waiting until marriage.' And clearly-' she looks me up and down with a fake-smile. 'You and Cat Noir haven't.' 

'And how the hell would you know that?' I snarl. 'It's none of your business what goes on in my life.' 

Lila holds her smile, pulling out her phone and showing me the video of Cat Noir and I making out in the park. 

'Things like this would definitely make my family question the influences in my life.' Lila's face falls. 'People like you, and people like me-' 

'That's enough,' Adrien snaps. 'Shut up Lila, because you have no idea what was actually going on in that video. You're always spreading hateful rumors that cause nothing but problems in everyone else's lives. I will not have you do that to my girlfriend-' 

My eyes grow wide as he finishes his sentence, and my mouth drops open. 

'I mean-friend.' He corrects himself, stammering. 

'You see?' Lila's mouth tugs into a leer. 'Y/n has two boyfriends, Adrien and Cat Noir.' She raises her voice and the whole class turns around to stare at me. 'She's currently manipulating the two most powerful boys in this town.' 

'SHUT UP,' Marinette shouts. 'TAKE YOUR DUMB IDEAS AND LEAVE.' 

'I seem to have hit a nerve,' she simpers, picking up her bag, and walking out of the classroom. 

I swear to god I'm going to-