ten

m i n u t e t e n

I love you

Sage's heart felt like it was glowing, he'd finally said it, the words she was craving to hear fall from his lips were finally said. He loved her like she loved him.

But he loved her to late; now when he said I love you he was also saying goodbye.

And she really didn't want to hear him say goodbye, he didn't want to say it either. But he had to. Because as the clock hit twelve and the fireworks went off both their hearts broke. The small fractures had already been present and this only encouraged the break, ten minutes was up.

They had ran out of time.

Her hazel eyes stared into his brown ones.

She'd fell in love with him, the boy who wasn't capable of being loved, the boy who she had initially despised turned out to be the one she couldn't live without.

He'd fell in love with her, the girl who found love in the most simplistic things, the girl who he had initially despised turned out to be the one his soul was intertwined with.

It's ironic because River had never hoped for much - anything - he'd never hoped for anything and yet here he was hoping that Sage was his soulmate. That one day their cards would be re-assigned, that they would cross paths and fall in love the way lovers do.

There was just something so special about falling in love as a teenager, everyone liked to complain and argue that they weren't ready. But most of the time, when you fall in love as a teenager you don't have that many responsibilities, you don't have to think about the other factors of relationships the way adults do. You're allowed to just fall in love because you see your missing piece in another person.

Sage and River, they were kids who had been caught up in the chaos of love.

They were only falling in love.

"River,"

"Sage,"

"I love you," she whispered back.

A full dimpled smile grew onto the boys face as he looked at the girl he'd fell in love with.

"I love you Sage,"

He felt a buzz in his pocket, he knew he had to go but he pushed his phone into his pocket as he stood up. Sage stood up with him, his hands found her waist as he pulled her closer and held her in his embrace. His face stayed in the crook of her neck as her hands made there way around him.

Neither of them made a move to let go of each other, this wasn't fair. They loved each other, they wanted to be together.

Why couldn't that be enough?

As she pulled back at him she looked at him with tears in her eyes.

"I don't want to leave you," she spoke. "I want you to stay."

I just want you, her heart whispered.

Although no tears welled up in his eyes, his heart felt as if it was being tortured. He'd understood why he'd never loved because as good as it made you feel he'd never felt pain like this before. Love, it was the reason behind the pain because if he didn't love her then leaving wouldn't hurt, but because he loved her leaving killed him from the inside.

I want to stay, I want you, his heart spoke.

If only they gave their unspoken words a voice, maybe things would be different.

"I have to," he said as he wiped the tears that fell from her eyes.

They both looked at each other before hugging each other again, Sage's hair tie fell leaving her hair to fall gently down her back.

As she looked at him, he brushed the hair out of her face before kissing her nose.

Sage tried, she tried so hard to push her feelings away, because she thought that maybe if she didn't acknowledge them that she'd be okay.

But it was hard to ignore a heart that felt like it was glowing and breaking all at the same time.

She smiled up at him only to see him smiling back at her.

His phone rang again and again and each time he ignored it, if he kept this up he was going to miss his plane.

Disregarding her feelings she spoke up, "You have to go,"

"I know," he whispered.

He shoved his hands into his pocket and she looked away for a short second trying not to cry before smiling back up at him.

"It's okay," she spoke trying to convince them both, "maybe we'll meet and fall in love in another lifetime,"

"I'm sorry it couldn't be this one,"

"Me too."