―vi. screw the world

AS NAOMI'S CABINMATES left for the strawberry fields and Silena's headed for their flying lessons, Silena helped Naomi pack for the quest.

"You're going to do great," Silena said, though it sounded more like she was trying to convince herself along with Naomi. She folded another camp t-shirt, placing it neatly in the backpack. "It's your fourth quest—you're a pro by now!"

Naomi chewed on the inside of her cheek, shoving another pair of socks into the bag, only for Silena to tsk and immediately take them out to bundle them. "Sit down and take a deep breath," she said. "I'll do the packing."

Naomi did as she was told, taking a seat on her bunk.

"What's got you so nervous?" Silena asked.

"I've just been having bad dreams," Naomi said quietly. "Dreams where I'm in some dark void, unable to find my way out. And there's this screaming, and it's like... it's like what death felt like, but... scarier."

Silena frowned. She bundled another pair of socks and placed them in the backpack. "You think that void's in the Labyrinth?"

"Why else would I keep having that same dream every night?" Naomi asked. "And now with the line in the prophecy... it's inevitable."

"Nothing's inevitable," Silena said.

"Change, old age, death, taxes," Naomi listed.

"Okay, smartass," Silena mumbled, folding up a pair of leggings. "You're spending too much time with Annabeth."

Naomi rolled her eyes, but the pit in her stomach made itself known once more. Quietly, she mumbled, "Maybe I am."

Silena raised an eyebrow. "I was being facetious," she said. "I didn't actually mean that."

"You might still have a point."

Silena put her hands on her hips, turning her undivided attention to Naomi now that the backpack was all but finished—she just needed to grab some supplies from the infirmary. "Is this about what Connor and Drew said last night?"

Naomi sighed. Nothing ever got past Silena.

Silena sat down on the bunk next to Naomi. "Don't let what they said get to your head, Naomi," she said gently, brushing some of Naomi's hair away from her face. "You think Connor Stoll has any room to talk when it comes to romance?"

"It's not like he's wrong," Naomi mumbled. She drew up her legs, hugging them and resting her chin on her knees. "I have been a third-wheel. I mean, it was fine when we were younger, but... I guess it's weird, now. Maybe I should give them space to... I don't know, get together?"

"Naomi, Percy and Annabeth are your best friends," Silena said. "You don't have to give them space unless they ask you to, and frankly, I don't see that happening anytime soon. You three are a package deal around here."

"For quests, yeah," Naomi said. "But we're fifteen, Silena. And you've seen the two of them—they're inevitable. Just like taxes."

"Some might argue you and Percy are inevitable," Silena said. "Or you and Annabeth." 

Naomi remembered Quintus's assumption, and the strange interaction with that Logan kid on the bus, but she pushed them both out of her mind. "You didn't see Annabeth when we saw Percy with that Rachel girl," Naomi said. "She was mad. Jealous-mad. You don't get that kind of jealous over someone who's just a friend."

"She's never been jealous of Percy hanging out with you," Silena pointed out.

"That's different," Naomi said.