Eight

Jocelyn smiled as she signed off on the flowers that the delivery person held out to her. It was a contemporary arrangement of Golden roses, Hellebores, Ranunculus, Begonia leaf, Privet berries, and Cranberries.

Over the past three weeks, they'd gotten to know one another more and more- meeting almost every day. She'd mentioned that the style of arrangement was her favorite and had received flowers this way since.

"Thank you." She closed the door before placing the arrangement in the window by the others. Their eccentric collections of flowers and non-geometric shapes made them beautiful to her.

Opening the card, she smiled at the hand written message inside wishing her a good day. His signature was one of the most unique she'd seen- a bolded version of his name written in cursive that was contained in a small, invisible square.

The letters were stacked on top of one another in a way that clearly displayed what they were but used very little spacing. It reminded her of something she'd see in a calligraphy video. The ringing of her phone broke her stare from the card.

"Hi, mama." She called as she placed the card in the wooden box she kept all her birthday cards and sentimental letters in.

"Good morning. Are you going to be joining me and your father for brunch?"

"I would have if you'd have told me earlier." She laughed as she made her way to the sink to finish rinsing her mug.

"We'll move it back to one. I expect to see you there with a guest preferably." Nibella muttered in her famous judging tone before ending the call.

"Of course you would." Jocelyn spoke as if the woman could still hear her. Scrolling through her phone, she sent Miles a text thanking him for the flowers and inviting him to brunch with her parents.

Immediately he responded with a yes and offered to pick her up as usual. Jocelyn liked that he wasn't afraid to immediately reply to a message. She agreed to having him pick her up before hustling to her closet to begin picking out an outfit.

She wrapped her twists up but left two down in the front to frame her face. Doing her makeup, she kept it minimal but made sure to add on a pair of large lashes. Just as she finished wrapping the straps of her stilettos up her calves, a knock sounded at her door.

"Hi!" She smiled excitedly at Miles.

He looked delicious in the simple outfit and Jocelyn noticed he often put together pieces she would have never thought to. The muted, rustic orange jacket paired over a grey t-shirt meshed well with the muted, dark olive pants he wore.

"Wow." He muttered as he eyed her outfit. "You look absolutely stunning."

"Thank you," Jocelyn blushed at the genuine shell-shock, "I love your outfit. I wouldn't have thought to put those colors together but it looks so good." Pulling at his jacket, it reminded her of a fall look with such a muted appearance.

"Thank you. I wasn't sure of what to wear." He mumbled as they caught the elevator.

"Whatever you would have put on would have been great anyways." The compliment caused him to dip his head, a wide smile on his face.

Jocelyn stepped closer to Miles as the door opened and two men in suits stepped on. He wrapped his hand around her waist before gently moving her to his right side. The protective gesture made her want to jump him there and then.

Since they'd been together, Jocelyn noticed his love language seemed to be actions rather than words. He constantly did whatever he could to make her feel special from cooking her favorite meals to helping her with mundane tasks.