(Chaper 44) Hot As Hell

Y/n P.O.V

"Imma go help clean up" I say as I kiss Lucinda on the check and head downstairs.

Once I get there, I find mom washing the dishes so I walk over to help since no one else is in the room.

"Oh Y/n you don't have to" Mom says as soon as a grab a towel to dry up.

"I know, but I want to" I say as I grab a plate a begin wiping it down. "Just as long as you don't scold me again"

"With the amount of trouble you get into, I'm gonna be scolding you till the day I die" Mom jokes but I still feel slightly bad for making her worry.

"I'm sorry that you keep having to worry about me. I honestly do try to stay out of danger. Just danger has a way of finding me" I joke.

"Y/n, you're my daughter and it goes without saying that I love you. But because of that, it also goes without saying that I'm always going to be worried about you. Its mothers do" Mom says. "Just, please try to be a little bit more careful. It might not seem like it, but I do get tired of scolding you"

"I'm sorry" I say as we both continue to do the dishes. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"Well, you can start by cleaning that plate properly" Mom says as she continues to wash up.

"What do you mean do it properly? I'm doing it fine"

"You wipe in circles not up and down"

"It's gonna get dry, doesn't matter which way I wipe"

"It does if you wanna do it properly"

"I'll show you properly" I mumble like a little kid. I change and start wiping in circles. "There you happy?"

"Very" Mom says with a smug look on her face. We continue to wash up till all the plates are clean, dry and in the cupboards. "Y/n, I can talk to you for a second" Mom says before I leave to check on Lucinda.

"Yeah sure, what's up?" I ask, very concerned but trying not to show it since it's been a while since I've seen that look in her eyes. The look that says that we're about to have a very serious talk. The same look she had when she found out I got expelled, when she told me about how people might discriminate since I'm a meif'wa and the same look she had when she told me I was adopted.

We sit down on opposite sides of the kitchen table with her looking down. Not in embarrassment or shame but like she was trying to think of the right words to say. "Do you ever wonder about your birth parents?"

"Sometimes. It's just one of those things I can't help but think about" I say after a long moment to think about it. "Why do you ask?"

"Well. As of a few days ago. You're allowed to contact them"

I just sit there, pondering her words. Unsure of what to say or even think.

"Do you want to?" Mom asks. "Cause I'm completely fine if that's something you want to do. I'll support whatever decision you make"

"I don't know. I guess I'd just made peace with the fact that I'd probably never be able to" I say. "How... how exactly does this work?"