Chapter 28: Acceptance

The next morning, (Y/N) walked to the mess hall, nervous. No one had treated her differently so far, so maybe she was in the clear. She grabbed her bowl of porridge and sat on the bench, waiting for Moblit. The mess hall was abuzz this morning, with many people whispering and giggling.

"Okay, tell me everything," Moblit stated as he slid into the seat next to (Y/N)'s.

"About what?" (Y/N) gulped.

"Don't tell me you haven't heard the rumors..."

"Oh no," (Y/N) groaned. "I was worried that might have happened. What are they saying?"

"You really haven't heard them yet? They're saying that Hange was caught making out with a girl last night. Eren said he saw it himself...was that you and Hange?"

"Freaking Eren," (Y/N) muttered. "Couldn't keep his mouth shut."

"They don't know it was you though. People are trying to guess and are actually betting on who they think the girl is."

(Y/N) sighed and glanced over at the commander's table, where Hange, Levi, and Erwin sat. The three of them were engaged in a conversation and Hange didn't look bothered at all. (Y/N) picked up her spoon and swirled it around her bowl of porridge.

"Do you think it's Nifa?" (Y/N) could hear Jean ask from the table behind them.

"No...her hair was a little longer. I bet it was Petra," Eren responded.

"I thought Petra liked captain Levi!" Sasha exclaimed.

"No, no it's definitely Petra! I'm still amazed section commander Hange was caught doing something like that!" Connie smirked.

(Y/N)'s eyebrow twitched, and she frowned. People were thinking that Hange and Petra were a thing? She couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy that nobody had thought it was her. It was irrational, but (Y/N) didn't like it when people thought Hange was dating someone else.

"Are you okay? You look irked," Moblit nudged her.

(Y/N) shook her head. "Do people really think that Petra and Hange have a chance? No one even thought that it could have been me..."

"I thought that was what you wanted. Your identity is safe."

(Y/N)'s frown grew deeper. "You're right...I don't know what's wrong with me."

"It looked like Hange was really into Petra...the way she was touching her was something else," Eren snickered.

"Do you think Petra and Hange have...you know?" Sasha whispered, giggling suggestively.

"Definitely, they probably devoured each other."

(Y/N) stood up abruptly, causing Moblit to look at her suspiciously. She took a deep breath and marched over to the superior's table, fueled by her irritation. When she got closer, Hange turned away from her conversation and gave her a quizzical smile. Levi glared while Erwin raised an eyebrow.

"Hello cadet (L/N)," Erwin said.

(Y/N) saluted and sat next to Hange, not letting Levi's stare unnerve her. She wasn't sure if anyone else was looking. It wasn't uncommon to see (Y/N) with Hange since she was her research assistant.

"What's wrong, (Y/N)?" Hange asked softly.

"Eren spread some rumors and people think you're with Petra," (Y/N) blurted.

"Oh?" Hange looked thoughtful. "That makes sense."

"W-what? You're not annoyed?" (Y/N) asked.

"Not really. I'm glad they didn't find out it was you, our secret is safe," Hange grinned.

(Y/N) let out an exasperated sigh and buried her head in her hands. Why was this bothering her so much? And why did it not bother Hange enough?

"You're dating Petra?" Levi asked.

Hange shrugged and ignored Levi before turning back to (Y/N). "Was there something else?"

(Y/N) stared at Hange for a minute, debating over what she should do. Before her confidence faded, she grabbed both sides of Hange's face and pulled her in for an aggressive kiss. Hange's eyes widened but she cupped (Y/N)'s cheek and leaned in. The mess hall fell silent and (Y/N) could feel the eyes of everyone on her.

(Y/N) pulled away, breathing heavily. "You're mine. I don't care what people think about me, I don't care if they think I'm weird or dislike me, as long as they know we're together."

Hange smiled and kissed (Y/N)'s cheek. "If you're sure about this, then I have no problem with it. I want people to know you belong to me too."

(Y/N) tore her gaze from Hange and looked at everyone staring at them, mouths agape. Eren and his crew were completely shocked. Erwin looked confused but nodded supportively when he noticed (Y/N) looking at him.

"About time," Levi scoffed. "The amount of times I had to listen to Hange ramble about you was torturous. I'm glad she found someone else to pester."

"Want to leave and cause an even bigger scene?" Hange smirked.

(Y/N) nodded and she stood up, entwining her fingers with Hange's. The two left the mess hall, ignoring the eruption of whispers behind them. (Y/N) smiled shyly and squeezed Hange's hand. Hange wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close. (Y/N) sighed, content.

(Y/N) knew she would have to answer many questions later in the day, and many people would think differently about her. She also knew her reputation would change; though she didn't care. Finally, she was happy with who she was—a girl who liked girls. She didn't care about the whispers, the insults, or the weird looks she would get. She could face anything as long as she was with her lady love.

The End! 😊

A/N: And this is the last chapter! I'll be adding an author's note as a separate chapter, I have quite a bit to say haha

Thank you for reading <3