Chapter 38: The Past

Adaline stood under the roofs of Keramzin. The hazy sunlight entering through the glass panels of the windows was unmistakably a part of the orphanage. The wooden floor was polished very well and the carpets were laid out towards the entrance.

Someone was coming to visit the orphanage.

Looking around, so many memories surged through her. She could see herself in the dusty corner where she and Simon used to spy on the caretaker to find out where she hid the cookies that she would buy.

She remembered tripping down the staircase one night when her leg had slipped on the edge of the step. She had bumped her head and remembered the look on the warden's face when she saw her, blood dripping down her face. She still had the scar on the eyebrow.

She looked outside the window and saw the forestline. That was where they used to go on make-believe adventures and picnics. She was finally remembering her childhood, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to.

Her entire life, she had been in search of the truth about the past. But when she was finally getting the answers, she wondered if it was all worth it.

She saw herself standing in the entrance corridor in front of the central staircase. She was holding the hand of Duke Keramsov Sr. He was comforting her while she stood scared of the arrival of the newcomer. She was in the orphanage for only a few days.

The double doors opened and General Chernoff walked inside. He looked so young. All Adaline wanted to do was run to him for help. He always seemed to have the answers that she was searching for. She felt like an eleven-year old again who only wanted to spend time with her father.

The Duke and the soldier shook hands, after which, the soldier knelt down in front of the little girl. "So you must be Isabella Dominik." She tried to hide herself in the Duke's cloak and a faint smile spread across Igor's face when he put his hand forward. He held a chocolate in his hand. "My name is Igor Chernoff."

"We need to change her name, Igor. We've been waiting for you to choose it." The Duke revealed. "Thank you for taking care of her. We weren't sure what to do to protect her identity. Travelers that would come here would recognise her immediately."

"I will keep by my oath, Duke. I made a promise to the Dominiks that I would take care of her as if she were my own if God forbid anything happened to them." His eyes were heavy with grief. "I never thought that the day would come that they wouldn't be in this world. But I will protect her, even if I have to fight the world."

Adaline's heart melted.

She saw her younger self, who was completely unaware of what was going on. She only wanted her parents. She wanted to be in their embrace again and listen to their voices. She was only a little girl who was burdened with a purpose; the weight of the world.

"Have you thought of a name?"

Igor nodded. "Adaline."

"The Noble One." Adaline whispered with him.

He had always called her that whenever she accomplished something. She remembered winning in an art competition in one of the towns that they had stayed in. She had asked him why he decided to name her Adaline and he had told her that she was nobler than all the Royals put together.

She had shrugged it off, thinking that it was a father's tale to his child, never knowing that there was a deeper meaning to it.

Right as she was thinking about that, the scenes shifted to the times where Igor raised Adaline as her own and trained her like a true soldier

Right as she was thinking about that, the scenes shifted to the times where Igor raised Adaline as her own and trained her like a true soldier. He had adopted her from Keramzin when she was five-years old. He had trained her to be tough and she was grateful for his love and affection.

She wouldn't have been a doctor by following her passion if it wasn't for him. People had always undermined the success of a woman, but Igor Chernoff never allowed that. He always stood up for their rights.

But the truth would still remain. She was a nobody and belonged nowhere. And nothing could change that. She wasn't Isabella and she wasn't Adaline.

So who was she?

There was one moment where he had tried to hug her, and that was when she had told him that she didn't like being touched. He was concerned for her but after talking to a doctor, he understood why and never asked her for an explanation. He always gave her her space and even helped her overcome that feeling.

"Look back!" Ramina shouted.

The scene shifted altogether. She was lying in a meadow during the time of spring. The smell of the flowers was sweet as honey. This was strange because she had been witnessing her memories at first.

This time, she was her past self. And it really was her past self.

 And it really was her past self

"My love." Adaline heard a very familiar voice that made her turn her head and her breath escaped her immediately.

The Darkling was lying next to her, and the first thing that she noticed was that he wasn't wearing black. He was wearing a normal white tunic and brown trousers. He was young. He seemed younger because his eyes were definitely young.

She was quite aware that she was lying next to him in a field. He turned on his side to face her. He smiled as he pushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "I love you." Her breathing stopped. "I always have. It will always be you, no matter what happens."

Adaline's eyes were tearing up. She felt a metal structure hand. A blade, she realised. She drove the knife into his chest at a great speed that she didn't even comprehend that she had done it.

Her eyes were wide open, but it wasn't because of what she had done.

It was because of what the Darkling had done.

The Darkling had caught her hand before the blade reached him and he drove the same dagger into her chest.