𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄

Dante.
ER - Curtain One.
07:34

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, all through the town," I sang with the little girl as the nurse was getting a blood sample from her. My eyes looked down as the nurse puts a bandaid on the little girl's arm as I chirped, "I told you it was fast and harmless."

She looks at the bandaid as I stood up from the chair, "I'll be back, okay? I'm going to ask the nurses to scoop a doop" The girl scrunches her face, "Doop?"

I laughed out while walking away, "Jello. We scoop a doop." She laughs at my little lingo as I walk over to the board, where Cleo was standing at.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" I teased before standing beside her. She smiles widely while containing her laughter, "Don't get too excited." I reach over and erased my name on the board under a past patient, "Are you trying to avoid Michael?"

She looks over at me before shaking her head, "No, why does everyone keep thinking that? A woman just declares she isn't feeling good, and everyone thinks she's avoiding the man." I laugh as I raise my hands to my face innocently, "I was just asking, don't get so defensive! Don't worry, I kept him company. He and I enjoyed a nice bowl of ramen noodles while watching the basketball game in the lounge."

She teases mischievously, "Well, I'm happy I didn't get in the way of your hot and heated date together."

I roll my eyes before changing the subject, "Well, I'm sure you're going to enjoy the wonderful war zone, known as the ER. I learned to dodge bullets every day."

She stuffs her hands in her pockets before looking at me, "You didn't seem to dodge the bullet with that little girl. I didn't expect someone so...arrogant like yourself to be good with kids." I grin widely before asking flirtatiously, "Hm, well you see, I'm a different man in the workplace. Don't tell me the way to mellow your heart is seeing me with kids?"

She rolls her eyes at my comment, "Oh please, Dante. Don't flatter yourself too much." I shrug my shoulder as the two of us walk together. My eyes look over at Cleo as she looks back at me.

"Dante, is there a patient you need me to consult?"

I fake cough as I gasp for air, "Ugh, I think I'm suffering from appendicitis! Save me, Dr. Cleo!" I started to flail my arms at her playfully while my exaggerated nature caused her to laugh hysterically as she grabs my arms, "Stop it! I'm serious."

Eventually, the two of us calmed down as I look down at her to stare into her cocoa brown orbs. It was no secret that I was attracted to her, but who wouldn't be? I felt comfortable when I was around her. Fifteen minutes in, and I didn't feel like I was working when I was in her presence. Her eyes looked up into mine before releasing her grasp from my forearms.

"Do you want to know why I'm so good with kids?" I asked.

She smiles widely, "I was teasing, Dante. I know why you're good with kids." I shake my head before grabbing her hand and walking her into the lounge. Thankfully, no one was there, so we could talk in a private setting. The two of us sat on the couch as I began,

"No, Cleo, you don't know why. I know you haven't been here long, but you have Michael's trust, which means you have my trust as well. Something we don't normally have for our interns, but you're special, in some way or shape."