28.

"Were you planning on notifying me about your little plan to bring my friends and family to an apartment in the medical district that doesn't even exist?"

I pushed past Esmond without so much as a glance towards his exposed chest, wet hair or the towel around his hips hanging on by a thread because I was afraid if I did, I might forget why I was here in the first place.

As expected, he followed me into the living room. I didn't have to turn around to know there was a victorious smile spread across his features simply because seeing me angry brought him joy.

"What!" He mocked from behind me. "Who ruined the surprise?" He joked, the playful tone in his voice making me groan in irritation.

"I'm being serious, Esmond," I seethed, pinching the bridge of my nose as I turned around and leaned against the green wall, eyes closed to calm myself.

"That's the problem," He stated matter-of-factly, shrugging before he disappeared into a corridor I've never even been in before.

With a huff, I pushed myself off the wall and followed him right up until he disappeared into another room, the latter falling into its hinges loudly before it was locked.

I sighed, though was relieved when it was opened only minutes later; the towel around him gone, and instead an actual pair of sweatpants and a shirt covering his body.

"Are you planning on answering my question?" I repeated, arms crossed in front of my chest when he didn't make any effort in picking up our previously interrupted, very one-sided conversation.

"I wasn't, no," He shrugged, turning back into the living room to throw himself onto the pale green sofa.

"Okay, well," I grumbled, positioning myself in front of him, arms still crossed. "What was your plan, then? Show up at my place at five in the morning—"

I faltered in my words when a wide grin spread across his face. I swallowed thickly, shaking my head in disbelieve at the grown man acting like a thirteen-year-old boy.

Though his body language was obvious, he replied with a "No comment," as casually as he could.

"You are unbelievable."

I let myself fall onto the couch with a reasonable distance between us, head falling back and resting on the backrest of it. "Seriously?" I followed up after a comfortable silence hung over us for a few minutes.

"Maybe," He deflected once more, though when I turned my head to look at him, he sent a mocking wink my way. I rolled my eyes to the sound of his low laughter.

I gave up, then; with an exasperated sigh that rattled through my chest, I let it go. The sheer energy it took to argue with Esmond close to how much you needed to argue with a child.

There was no point, anyway. Plans were made, and cancelling was not an option.

"Alright then," He suddenly exhaled, getting up and holding his hand out for me to take it. "Let's go."

My brows furrowed in confusion, eyeing first him and then his hand suspiciously before reaching out to take it; another annoyed groan slipping past my lips when he pulled it away right before my hand would touch his.

"Too slow," He shrugged, an amused gleam in his eyes as he gestured for me to get up.

Esmond Terran was insufferable. And I followed him anyway.

"Go?" I questioned as he slipped into his shoes and I copied his movement. "Go where?"

His tongue poked the inside of his cheek in amusement before his eyes snapped up to mine, holding the front door open for me to exit.

"Just because I don't live in it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

—————

So, there we were. In the middle of the medical district, Esmond fiddling with a rather old looking key card to open the door to one of the apartment complexes.

And though the general layout of the buildings was the same, you could practically feel the difference between my own building and this one.

Marble walls, high ceilings leading up to the three elevators in the back of the entrance, a few potted plants positioned beside every door.

The elevators were spacious — granted, so were mine — and doors opened with the familiar sound they opened with everywhere in Arcan City.

The first time I opened my mouth to say anything was when we left the elevator on the 17th floor; Esmond casually turning to our left to head towards a specific door.

"I—" wasn't quite sure what to say or how to react; wasn't sure if any of this was legal, if we were breaking and entering, maybe? "Whose is this?" I quickly muttered, coming to a halt next to him right as he held the keycard against the reader.

"Don't be stupid, Amidelle," He snickered, glancing my way before pushing the door open. "You know whose it is."

"Well, it can't be yours, Esmond," I retorted, a hint of mockery mixed with annoyance lacing my words as I entered right behind him.

"Well, it is."

His words were only background noise now, my attention fully on the beautiful apartment I had just walked into. The walls were white, organically shaped — similarly to mine — though much higher.

The entrance corridor led into a big living room, a large, open kitchen in a secluded corner. Though, my real focus was on the view.

In comparison, I lived on the fifth floor, my view consisting mostly of other buildings or the streets below me. Here, on the other hand, you could easily look over the smaller buildings, and even the biggest towers of Arcan City didn't seem as threateningly tall anymore.

The same trees that looked relatively normal from my window seemed absurdly small from up here, and I could swear if I squinted my eyes hard enough, I could make out the same forest we just came from.

It was when I was stood right in front of the large top to bottom window, looking out towards Arcan City and feeling a little bit like I was floating, that my eyes fell on a neighbouring building, a little taller than the one we were in; a digital poster hanging on it that simply read "Trust The System."

It made me furrow my brows. Feeling Esmond's presence behind me, I took a deep breath before the following words escaped my mouth, back still turned towards him.

"Can I ask you something?" I wondered out loud, and I took the low hum as a yes. "What is it about these?" My finger pointed towards the poster, pushing against the glass of the window in its direction.

When a few moments passed, and he didn't say anything yet, I threw a glance over my shoulder, finding the brunette closer than I had anticipated. Due to the close proximity, I turned around completely, head tilted upwards to meet his dark eyes.

And then, he smiled. A genuine, soft smile as his eyes flickered over to the poster once before landing back on me.