-2.1 valley fest

chapter twenty one!

"VALLEY FEST? MORE LIKE HELL PARADE," comments a very annoyed Seth. Him and Alex had been helping Amanda fix their booth up, which was a lot more work than it was worth, by the way, and had just gotten finished. The two sat down behind the table, where they'd be for probably the rest of the night. "Do you know how many people I'll see here tonight that I really don't like? It's a pretty high number."

"Yeah, I bet," laughed Alex, although she seemed a bit distracted. Seth gave her a look, squinting his eyes. Alex as probably one of the most attentive people he's ever met. She almost never gets distracted.

"You good, kiddo?" When he got no response, he nudged her with his elbow. "Alex?"

"Hmm?" she hummed, her hand falling from where it was holding up her head, her elbow resting on the table. She looked over at him, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine."

"You look tired," he commented, slapping her hand away from her eyes. "Long night? Let me guess, you were doing something heroic?"

"Nah," she shook her head, laughing softly to herself. "I stayed up late working on some stuff. Homework and whatever."

"It's the summer."

Alex grinned, chuckling again as she pointed down at her overfilled backpack that was sitting beside her chair. "Yeah, but I'm taking some extra credit summer classes over at the college."

It was the truth— she was taking Summer classes on criminal justice and forensic psychology, and she did stay up all night working on the homework. But, the part she left out was that she could've easily finished the work in forty-five minutes if she'd actually been focusing on that. The psych-ward that her dad had been transfered to had called with an update on how he was doing. Apparently he was doing great, and just really wanted her to visit. She just couldn't seem to focus after that.

"Of course you are," nodded Seth, rolling his eyes. He scrunched his nose up in disgust at the idea of taking Summer classes. He wasn't even in school anymore and he still despised it. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Because Alex is an overachiever," a voice from behind them said, making the coworkers spin around. It was Samantha LaRusso, with Robby Keene beside them. The brunette was grinning, happy to see one of her best friends, "It's kind of what she does."

"Sam!" cheered Alex, standing up and almost tripping over her backpack as she rushed over to give her a hug. Sam giggled and hugged back, tightly. She'd missed this— Alex, that is. She felt stupid for ever picking Yasmine over Alex. "Oh, it's so good to see you!"

"You too, Ramirez. I was gonna ask you to hang out a while back but I figured you'd have to work," the girl told her, Alex slinging her arm over the taller girls' shoulder.

"You figured correctly," snorts Seth from where he still sat. He was repeatedly clicking one of the company pens, not even looking back at the group of three. "All she ever does is work."

Sam laughed, Alex then moving to give Robby a hug. The boy hugged back, patting her back comfortingly. Alex liked his hugs— they have the comfort of an older brothers hug. "What're you two doing here? Thought you'd be doing karate or something."

"That's actually why we're here," Robby nodded. "Mr. L wants us to put on a demonstration for the audience later to get business for the dojo."