Consequences

Wanda woke up with the worst headache of her life. And being a former Avenger, that was saying something. The consequences of her actions in both the barrier and her brother definitely took a toll on her. Were magical hangovers somehow worse than normal ones? A wave of pain coursed through her head.

Yes, they were.

She covered her face with the covers, the darkness doing little to lessen the pain. She heard her children running up the stairs, barging into her room complaining about their game. Wanda barely heard them, she just needed a moment to collect herself, to keep her many regrets out of her mind. After getting no response, the boys asked each other if she was awake, to which she assured them that she was simply resting her eyes.
The sound of a door opening in the hallway distracted the twins. They looked at their uncle in stunned silence as Wanda removed the cover from her eyes. She shared a look with her brother silently pleading him to give her some alone time. A quick nod confirmed his understanding.
"Alright boys, time to go downstairs, let's give your mom some space. She needs it." Pietro said as he led the twin downstairs, Wanda could vaguely hear Billy saying something about his head being noisy. Pietro shrugged his comment aside, challenging them to a video game fight instead. The hurried footsteps and the giggles that followed confirmed their agreements with their uncle's proposition. Finally finding the strength, she pulled off her bedcover, only to realize that she hadn't even changed out of her costume before falling asleep.
She put her hands on her face in exasperation, trying to get a hold of herself. The extensive use of her magic and guilt over what she had done was catching up to her. She mentally braced herself as she slowly sat on her bed, ignoring the dizziness and nausea that suddenly hit.

I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine

She changed out of her clothes, not even attempting any magic in fear of aggravating her situation. Wanda looked through her closet, not really caring about what to wear. She settled on sweatpants and a dressing gown. After hastily tying her hair in a low ponytail, she went downstairs, her stomach letting her know it was time to eat. She was barely aware of the concerned looks her sons and brother were giving her, all she wanted was a bowl of cereal and for her headache to go away. She took her milk carton and went to get the cereal box, she paused in confusion as she noticed the carton had changed. That's not right, why did it change? Expanding the barrier couldn't have drained her that much, could it?

She smelled the content on her spoon, hopefully it wouldn't change by the time it reached her mouth. She reached for the carton but accidentally knocked it off counter. Thankfully, no mess ever reached the floor, Pietro sped over and grabbed the milk and quickly put it in the fridge. As he closed the door, he looked at her sister with worry in his eyes.

"You okay, sis?"

"Yeah, just, rough morning," reassured Wanda.

Pietro looked at her, unconvinced, but let the subject drop. He sat on the couch, suddenly interested in the twins' game. He started telling them tips at superspeed, which only Tommy could follow, as Billy tried his best to make it without them. After a rather short game, Tommy won, and the boys went silent as they watched Wanda walk over. She could feel Billy's question before it even reached his lips. "Mom, where's dad?"

Even though she saw it coming, she didn't really know how to answer. Wanda didn't want to worry her children, but it was certain they had noticed how tense they had been with each other in the last few days.
"I- uh," she started, hoping a sentence would string itself by the time she was done. When none came, she simply sighed and sat down next to her twin. "I don't know," she confessed. She had meant to stop there, but the worried look of her kids pushed her for an explanation. "Look, here's the thing boys, I'm your mom and you expect me to have all the answers, right?" Alright, good start. Keep going, just tell them you don't have the answers, no need to get complicated. Their worried head nods made her continue. "Well, I don't!" She let out a laugh, earning her a weirded-out glance from her brother. "I have... no answers!" She could feel all three boys wanting to interrupt, but she wasn't finished. She couldn't stop rambling; it was like her mouth was being possessed. "Zero, zip, zilch, nada, niente." Way to reassure them, now even Pietro is worried. She stopped herself, realizing how unhinged she sounded. "You see, since your dad and I... don't get along as well, for now. I'm starting to think that everything is... meaningless. Nothing truly matters because at the end of the day, it's all just a big pretend... you know?"

For a few seconds, nobody moved. Wanda kept mentally smacking herself for worrying her boys so much, that's not what they needed at all. They looked at her with fear and concern in their eyes, their mouth slightly agape in shock. Thankfully, her brother intervened.
"Woah, a little dark there, sis?" Pietro turned to his nephews. "I'm sure your dad's fine, he probably even went to get you boys an apology gift for missing the night yesterday!" The twins looked at each other in excitement as the promised gift was mentioned. Seeing how they were getting better, Pietro continued, "speaking of last night, how about we see what kind of treasure you kids got, uh?

Without letting them finish, he sped upstairs. Tommy and Billy shared a panicked glance at the possibility of their candies being stolen and were about to join him, but a knock at the door stopped them. With a snap of Wanda's finger, the door opened, letting Agnes in.
"Hi, Agnes!" She greeted her, not even turning around to look at her. "I'd get up, but I just don't want to!"

Her neighbor paused as she took in Wanda's state, clearly wondering what to do. She looked at the twins, silently asking how long she had been like that. When they simply shrugged, she gave a concerned smile to Wanda, looking around for something to say. The redhead couldn't understand all the fuss, she just needed a day off, why were they all worried?

'You've never given up before,' interrupted her mind. She mentally smacked that thought away. Sure, she had always pursued, but she had never fixed her world before. It took a lot of concentration, of course she needed a day to recharge.

'Putting your alternate universe twin back under mind control certainly didn't help.'

She ignored that remark, Vision wasn't there, apparently having had his fill of her magic, couldn't she at least have him?

"I'm surprised you guys didn't stop me, especially with such an amazing- "Pietro stopped in his track as he spotted the newcomer. He froze in place, probably wondering what to do now that she saw him appear, seemingly out of nowhere. Agnes seemed shocked too, but her surprise was short lived as she eyed him with a grin. "Well, hello! I don't think we've been properly introduced," she held out a hand, "I'm Agnes, your neighbor to the right, my right not yours!"
Pietro hesitantly chuckled at the joke, taking her hand with uncertainty. Muttering some greetings, he walked back to Wanda as Agnes was still looking at him, a glimpse of... something in her eyes.

'Oh, come on, Pietro was way too young for Agnes. Plus, wasn't she married?' Wanda pushed her thought aside; her neighbor was probably wondering when he got there. She got up, at least wanting to be polite in order to do introductions.
"Agnes, this is my twin brother, Pietro, he arrived two days ago."

Once again, an awkward silence crept over the household as she sat back down, only broken by the occasional crunch of Wanda's cereal. It was Agnes who eventually spoke up.
"Wanda," she said, in a concerned tone, "do you- do you need to be alone for a bit?" The redhead looked at her, shocked she'd even suggest that. The woman raised her hand in front of her in surrender, showing she didn't mean it as a bad thing. "I wouldn't mind taking the twins for a day, and I could use your brother for a few reparations Ralph keeps putting off."

Agnes didn't wait for an answer, taking both of the boy's arm and leading them to her. Tommy and Billy protested, but Wanda confirmed that it would be for the best. As her neighbor started to leave, Pietro sat down next to his sister.
"I'll stay here for a bit," he declared, surprising both Wanda and, apparently, Agnes who pressed her lips together in frustration. He turned to the neighbor who was halfway out of the door. "I'll come later for the repairs, but my sister needs me for now."

With a sharp nod, Agnes was out of the door, leaving the Maximoff twins alone once again. Pietro turned to her and sat down. He removed the now empty bowl from her hands and put it on the table, taking her hand in his. With eerie similarity to the night before, he looked at her with concern.

"Are you okay?"

————————————————————————
So, Agatha has the twins and has an interest in Pietro! I've changed the dialogue to fit my story better while keeping the original meaning. Also, Ralph in my story doesn't exist; it's the *never shown but always mentioned significant other* trope shows sometimes have.