🌙39| Ends meet

When my feet touched the floor for the last time, blood splashed over my face. With a three sling shot, I got three vampires dead. But when I twirled to shoot another one, his blood splattered all over my face. I closed my eyes and took a deep inhale. After a few seconds as my irregular heartbeat settled, I opened my eyes looking around.

Several police patrols gathered around Max and Ian shooting at them. The bullets started running in the atmosphere towards them. Surprised by their abrupt action, both Ian and Max went their separate ways and hid behind other cars to keep away from the bullets. On few accounts, Ian moved out a bit and shot the officers one by one.

With wavery eyes, I stumbled back as my heart thumped heavily in my chest. They were not only after Ian but also Max. At the rate of the firing squad, I don't think even Ian can get back to how he was even if he escapes. It would be worse for Max as he's already injured. I have to stop them.

Shaking my head, I run after the police patrols. But as I got to that police officer, he ordered the back up officers to come over and join the session. I quickly grabbed his hand and pulled him over. 

"Officer Bucker!" He slowly turned to me while clinging to his gun. Surprised to find me here, he walked up to me. "It's dangerous here! You must leave." Folding my lips, I retorted. "I'm not leaving without Max. You can do whatever you want with Ian."

His eyes widened at my words. Loading his gun, he turned to me angrily. "He's also a vampire. He's attacked many citizens today. I can't spare him-"

  "-He's not like Ian. You have to withdraw your men. I'll take him away from here." He looked away and ordered his officers to move closer and shoot. When Max looked out to find am escape route, one of the officers shot his lower arm. Wincing in pain, he rolled himself back against the car, holding his injured arm with closer eyes.

   "I'm sorry. This time, I'm not with you. You'll be considered a threat if you keep on defending him. He'll become another Ian after a few years. I won't butter up another threat in the society." With his final words, I realized he wasn't willing to let Max off the hook too. Pursing my lips in frustration, I turned to Ian who was almost done shooting out all the officers.

  "Get back up. I repeat!" Officer Bucker exclaimed putting his phone in his pocket. Most of the officers were down excluding him. I had to do something now in order to save Max. But as I moved my attention to the car Max hid behind, I saw blood dripping from behind.

  "Max. No!" I screamed. Without even thinking of the consequences, I snatched his gun from his pocket and rushed to turn center, pointing the gun at the remaining officers. "I'll shoot if you come near him!" Officer Bucker lifted his astonished eyes and shook his head at me. But at that point, I didn't care if Ian managed to get away. I needed to save Max at all costs.

Walking behind slowly with the gun pointed at them, the remaining officers move forward at my pace with utmost care. "Drop the gun. Miss Dickson! Drop your gun or else we'll shoot!"

  Taking advantage of the situation, Ian got up slowly and glared around carefully before running towards the woods. Wincing in pain, Max forced himself to get up and chase after him. When I turned to my back, I found them both racing to the woods. "Catch them. Arrest Miss Dickson. Hurry!" he yelled waving forward.

Without a second thought, I turned around and started running towards him. Ian clutched to his chest as he run into the forest, crossing the empty burnt train station. Max on the other hand held his arm which was dripping along the way. When I noticed them while running, I yelled out his name, but he didn't hear me due to the echoes.

When I turned to check, I found several police officers chasing after us. As I took in deep breaths, the smell from the burnt and rusty metal choked me at each attempt. Coughing, I got back on my feet and rolled the metal rods on the train down. They rolled quickly and threw a handful of officers down to the other side of the streets.