Chapter one

5 years later 

Clementine's P.O.V

Coming through the portal was scary, seeing what was left of the Avengers facility was soul-shattering but nothing will ever compare to watching Tony snap his fingers and finding out Nat was dead, they were both my family. Now it was time to return the stones back to their own timelines, Steve insisted on taking them back alone, I think I know why.

"Are you sure this is going to work Bruce?" I questioned again staring up at him, Bruce smiled back at me, his arm tightly wrapped in a sling "yeah I'm sure" he squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. I glanced over at Steve who was talking to Bucky, Steve smirked at Bucky before looking back at me, he patted Bucky on the shoulder "don't miss out on the opportunity Buck" he muttered before walking over to me.

"Remember you have to return the stones to the exact moment we got them or you're going to open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities" Bruce explained handing over the case of infinity stones to Steve "don't worry Burce, clip all the branches." 

Sam and I shared a look before shrugging "you know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet and the stones, I really tried to bring Nat back. I miss her" Bruce confessed looking at Steve and me, I placed my hand in his big green one "we do too" Bruce smiled down at me before turning back to Steve "you ready?"

"You know, If you want, I can come with you" Sam offered again as Steve grabbed the case, turning to face Sam "you're a good man, Sam. This one's on me though" he pulled Sam into a tight hug and patted his back as he pulled away. I crossed my arms over my chest as Steve turned to look at me, I raised my brows at him, he signed deeply with a small smile on his lips "I know that look" I pointed out as he stepped closer to me.

"Of course you do" he huffed out staring down at me, I glanced over at Bucky and Sam before looking back up at Steve "I'll keep an eye on them for you" I stated softly. Steve's hands rested on my arms "god, I'm gonna miss you" Steve admitted pulling me into his chest, confirming my theory "I'm gonna miss you too, you need to live the life you deserve" he pulled away, placing a kiss on my forehead. He glanced over my shoulder at Bucky "keep him out of trouble for me? you need each other" Steve whispered as I followed his gaze to see Bucky watching us.

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back" Steve called out as he approached Bucky. Bucky chuckled shaking his head "how can I? you're taking all the stupid with you" he resorted, Steve smiled as he and Bucky hugged "I'm going to miss you, buddy" Steve pulled away "It's going to be okay, Buck" with one last look at Bucky and I, Steve stepped on to the podium.

I wrapped my arms around myself as I stood close to Bucky, his arm brushing my side "how long is this going to take?" Sam asked Bruce, Steve tapped his chest, releasing the white suit to cover his body "for him? as long as he needs. For us? five seconds. You ready Cap?" Steve nodded, picking up Mjolnir. "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?" Sam told him, Steve smiled "you bet" his helmet covered his face as Bruce began to count down, and then he was gone.

"And returning in five, four, three, two....one" 

Nothing happened.

"Where is he?" Sam panicked looking over at Bruce "I don't know, he blew right past his timestamp. He should be here" Bruce stated, frantically checking the screens. Buckys hand wrapped around mine as he pulled me to face the lake, a small smile on his lips as he looked down at me and then out at the lake. 

On the small bench facing the view was a man, his white hair stuck out against the scenery, Bucky nudged my body with his towards the bench "Is that...?" Bucky nodded. "Sam" I called out, not taking my eyes off the scenery, Sam stood next to me following my gaze. We walked towards him slowly, stopping a few feet behind the bench.