Eleven

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh?" Jocelyn tilted her head, a concerned expression on her face.

"I've had over 20 years to consider our relationship and I don't want to share any connection to my father or mother." Miles shrugged before taking a bite of his sandwich.

"I can't speak on how you should feel, but from what you've told me maybe things are different. People often reach out after long periods when they feel they've made the necessary changes." Her habit of providing her two cents on personal issues emerged as she dived into the family structure.

Miles, like herself, was an only child who grew up in Washington. He'd been telling her about the strained relationship he had with his parents which caused him to move out at 16.

Through a friend, he managed to get a loan for his paint shop and made his own successful empire by the age of 23. Now at 31, his parents had been trying to get in contact with him.

"It's...complicated." He muttered, a grimace on his face that let her know he wasn't telling her something.

Jocelyn had grown to study the man the same way he'd done her. Miles was one of the most attentive and detail oriented people she'd ever met and it often rubbed off on her.

They studied each other, learning the others ticks and quirks. The shared understanding of one another made the relationship one of the healthiest she'd ever been in.

"I get it. We can move on, if you want." She smiled softly while laying her hand on his.

"Thanks. So, how was your spa day?"

"Amazing," she gushed, "I had a massage and I think that's the closest I've come to falling in love."

"I could never get into massages. Too intimate." He shook his head.

"Not even with your past partners? You don't have to go to a shop." She laughed despite secretly trying to gain knowledge about his past dating life.

The smirk on his lips let her know he'd caught on to her intentions. Leaning back in his seat, he eyed her before crossing his arms. "Nope. The majority of my past relationships were very... shallow."

"Shallow as in?" She leaned forwards, a nosy interest hooking itself to her spine.

"Surface level." He joked, laughing as she rolled her eyes.

"You know that's not what I meant."

"I know, I just don't want to get into it. There's a lot of hurt in the past but I'm happy now, with you especially, and I want to keep that for as long as possible." The rawness in his tone caused her stomach to flip and she dipped her head as her face heated.

"Don't worry. You're stuck with me." Jocelyn spoke earnestly. Although they'd known each other for less than a year, Jocelyn could feel they'd be together for a long time.

"So, it's only right I ask. What were your past relationships like?"

"Terrible," she rolled her eyes, "men who wanted nothing more than a piece of ass until the next best thing came along."

"I can't even imagine that. You're beautiful, intelligent, witty, and just an overall amazing person. Any man who can't see that is an idiot." He shook his head in genuine disbelief.

"I'm happy I dated a bunch of douchebags because it led me to you." The cheesy confession rolled off her tongue before she could even think about it. A wide smile cracked his lips and he grabbed her hands.

"And I'm forever grateful for that." His thumbs stroked the back of her hands. Leaning over, she met him halfway for a peck before sitting back down and taking a sip of her lemonade.