Chapter Seventeen pt 1

Chapter Seventeen

The moment their boots grazed the rugged surface of dirt and grass instead of the crumbled debris of the room they had just been at prior, Drokn's hand twisted right, attempting to snatch the neck of the demoness in impulsive rage. But before he had made contact, the demoness instinctively grabbed his wrist and shoved it down and away, almost weightless. Wearing a snarl, the demon detached himself from the grip and his gaze clawed deep, burning into the woman across from him.

"You knew that was going to happen, didn't you? You set us up!" Drokn hissed through his teeth.

"You're right," Vrona said in honesty, "but first, let's sit down. Eial's probably not used to teleporting two others with him. And having you next to him will probably relax his bond more."

Drokn eyed Eial to the side and his snarl softened, just barely. The elf had already taken his seat on the coolness of the green below, a blank expression as dreariness fought his eyes to stay open. With a click of his tongue, the demon gruffly sat beside him, and the moment he did, a deep, calming breath came and left the elf, an ease from the pull of their bond. The elf's head gently bumped against the demon's shoulder and his eyes closed, still awake, but resting.

The demon definitely did not feel the gentle warmth that spread between them, easing the fire that seared his mind. And definitely did not lean in, positioning himself to be more comfortable for the elf.

Not minding the glare directed at her, the demoness followed to sit across, briefly examining the waving trees and quietness otherwise before turning back to face the other two. The demon had his back stiff and guarded, his claw shaped hand strained at his side, ready to fight with magic. With a heavy sigh, the demoness finally started.

"After witnessing your magic's reaction to one another, I sent her a note asking if she had any idea about it, obviously not disclosing that Eial was attuned to multiple elements. She wrote back saying there were more records of AE001 with information about elf and demon bonds. But long story short, something felt off when I visited, so I prepped an escape if we needed it while I was there and immediately left to get you two."

"To use us?" The demon's eyes grew redder, bright despite being under the shadow of a tree.

Vrona's eyes lowered. "I'm sorry. The safest way was to teleport out if there was an actual issue. We needed those research notes. And all else Mon had to say."

"Then you could have fucking told us! We almost—" Drokn recalled the uneasiness and pounding of his heart. His crazed display. The blade to the elf. At this point, the demon's teeth was a feather close from cracking from the pressure of his clench.

"Realistically, if I told you there was information about demon and elf bonds, would you have believed it? And if I said I needed Eial's power to get that information, would you have trusted me and listened?"

As much as his thoughts burned to deny it, it was true, the demon would not have believed her or trusted in any of her schemes. Nor would he have placed himself in a situation to be used. However, the demon knew from their brief time spent that the demoness would try to keep the elf safe. But he would never truthfully reveal that to the demoness.

"More importantly, if I'd told you two, I'm not sure how well you could keep up the act. The more realistic your responses, the less guarded the others would be, thinking they had the upper hand." Suddenly, Vrona's eyes softened and as a corner of her lip curled up, "I have to say though, your response really pulled the plan through."

The demon, his body crushed against the wall, his screams filled throughout the room, those memories pierced Drokn. Nerves bulged in the demon's neck and he wanted to lunge at the demoness at her mockery, but with the slightest movement forward, he was reminded of the elf who peacefully lay against him, and he dared not move further to disturb. Finally, the most he could do was sizzle by himself, his claws pressing into his own palm with sparks of purple trickling against his fingers. "Nothing was amusing about that," he hovered in a low, thundering voice.

"Sorry, that's not what I mean." The demoness still kept her smile, looking up and closing her eyes. "I'm just relieved."

Drokn didn't know what to make of those words. Tension still gathered between his brows and clenched hands. But soon, a soft, comforting hand grazed its way across his thigh. A hand not his own, but belonging to the only one whose small movements could soothe the rushing waves inside with more power than the moon to the ocean. Black brows eased back and fingers loosed, leaving marks of nails within the demon's palm.

Although Drokn was still upset and had not forgiven the demoness for her tactics, he knew the current conversation had no more to gain. But the distraction from the elf had reminded him of another important subject he needed to know. An explanation he deserved. "So, are you planning to tell us about this other elf, or is that something you're going to hide from us, too?"

The demoness's expression grew solemn once more, a darkness overcast upon her face, a distant look in her eyes. "No, I'll tell you." A long inhale in, a thick exhale out. And repeat. "I'll tell you."